Survivalists are always equipped with an emergency radio of the highest quality. Camping often involves extreme weather conditions, so campers need a device that can provide useful information, such as weather updates.
Radios that are tough and can withstand extreme conditions are the best emergency radios. The radio you choose should be resistant to water, dust, and drops in order to hold up to storms. In addition, you should know what kind of emergency radio is right for you.
Emergency radios come in two main types: battery-powered and hand-cranked. To last in critical situations, batteries-powered devices will require long-lasting power cells. Hand-cranked devices, on the other hand, generate power from physical rotation. Strong cranks are essential to these devices. Also, you may benefit from finding the best portable generator.
You might even consider upgrading your other tools if you are deeply involved in the survivalist hobby.
Wirecutter Emergency Radio Reviews:
- [2000MAH POWER BANK WILL KEEP DEVICES POWERED] FosPower's emergency radio incorporates a 2000mAh power bank capable of providing emergency power to any small tablet or phone.
- [3 POWER SOURCES POWER WHEN YOU NEED IT] Use the emergency weather radio's 3 power sources when you need a boost of power or need to recharge the radio. The radio's crank lever and solar panel are both capable of regenerating enough power to keep the radio, lights, and SOS alarm ready to go when you need it most. AAA Batteries ensure you have power when not able to regenerate power.
- [2 LIGHT SOURCES ALWAYS POWERED] The emergency crank radio can also provide light. The 4 LED reading light and 1W flashlight provides enough output to keep you and your loved ones out of the dark in an emergency situation.
- [NOAA EMERGENCY WEATHER BROADCAST ACCESS] The radio will dependably receive up to the second emergency weather forecasts and emergency news broadcasts from NOAA and AM/FM stations.
- [LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY] Includes a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Please visit FosPower's website for more information.
- [BRING YOU BACK TO OLD DAYS] This retro radio has a vintage design and appearance. With the old-fashioned rotary dial and circular tuning window, the radio will give your home a retro vibe. Whether listening to oldies radio stations or streaming 60s music from your smartphone, this gorgeous radio will take you back to the golden age of the radio.
- [MULTIFUNCTIONAL EMERGENCY KIT] The radio is equipped with multiple features to make you more prepared for emergencies. It comes with weather channel access, a rechargeable flashlight, and an SOS siren sound.
- [BLUETOOTH 5.0 SPEAKER] Wirelessly connecting your music player, phone, laptop, or PC, and streaming your favorite music to this portable Bluetooth speaker is easy and quick thanks to the Bluetooth 5.0 technology. The powerful 8W speaker will deliver crystal clear, high-quality sound. With the 2000mAh rechargeable battery, you are able to enjoy hours of listening without spending a penny on batteries.
- [GOOD GIFT IDEA FOR LOVED ONES] Whether you’re shopping for someone who enjoys retro aesthetics or simply loves music, the recipient of this radio will appreciate its vintage color and stylish design. The radio has a good blend of features, making it good décor, a source of entertainment, and a useful tool in case of emergencies.
- [LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY] Join millions of satisfied customers with our limited lifetime warranty, backed by our experienced and dedicated USA based customer service.
- 【HOME & OUTDOOR NECESSARY】As reported, we used to experience several times natural disasters per year like hurricanes"Harvey", Wildfire, and so on. RunningSnail emergency weather Radio will keep your family safe through it all. This Weather Radio can timely report emergency weather alerts in your areas to be well prepared; A 2000mAh Built-in Li-ion battery to charge most of the device until power back; A LED flashlight with rugged cover design could light up your darkness.
- 【2000mAh PHONE CHARGER】When we are trapped in an emergency，RunningSnail's emergency radio with a 2000mAh emergency power bank may be our life-saving tool. The emergency portable radio works with most USB powered devices, which could provide enough emergency power for important calls to your family, the emergency services, or for contacting assistance in emergency situations.
- 【3-WAY POWER SOURCES】The solar crank radios with multiple power backup options are the best choice in the emergency package. 3 Power Source including Hand Crank, Solar Panel, Built-in Li-ion Rechargeable Battery, to make it easier to keep the emergency radio running during a prolonged situation where power is off and batteries have been used up. Never Power outage!
- 【PORTABLE RADIO WITH FLASHLIGHT】This pocket-sized portable emergency radio's dimension is 5*1.8*2.4inch and weight 0.5 LB, which is surprisingly small and light. Also, it comes with 1W LED Flashlight, which will cut through the blackness and maximize visibility. Carrying around a large unit is quite difficult when you have to move around during emergencies, this emergency radio is a smart choice.
- 【CUSTOMER TECHNICAL SUPPORT】Your voice drives us to be the best. We back our emergency weather radio with an 18-months Warranty! If you are not satisfied with this NOAA weather radio, we will provide the solution for you immediately as you contact us. And our customer service is here for you 24/7 for anything you need! NO RISK FOR YOUR PURCHASE！
- This NOAA emergency radio is ideal for hurricanes or other major storms that could put your life at risk. Which have many gadgets on it that could help save your life. Things like a flashlight with SOS option, a compass, and capability to charge other devices.
- There are three power sources to ensure you're always covered in the event of an emergency, including a hand crank and solar panel that recharge the internal battery, plus three AAA batteries.
- This emergency radio incorporates a 2200mAh power bank capable of providing emergency power to any small tablet or phone. Very compact, light, and easy to carry, good survival kit when cellphone powered off or disaster weather.
- The hand-crank radio works by turning the handle around and around. One minute of turning the handle around the back of the radio provides 10 minutes of power. It is that simple so, as long as you are able to grab the handle and crank it, you will have a working radio.
- 1W flashlight and let others know of your location using the SOS alarm with the flashing light. If you are lost in the woods, this device can stay lit until someone sees your light.
- ▲7 Pre-Configured NOAA Weather Alerts Stations & Solid Reception on AM/FM/Shortwave Radio▲you can switch from AM/ FM/Shortwave radio to NOAA weather band to get the daily forecast quickly by rotating the knob instead of tuning up and down the dial.7 programmed NOAA weather Channels bring alerts right to keep you up to speed when there is severe weather advisory in your area.FM/AM radio gets good reception as well as shortwave stations even with the antenna down.
- ▲5000mAh Replaceable Li-ion Battery & 5 Power Sources▲This 𝗪𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗼 comes with 5000mAh large-capacity rechargeable Li-ion battery ensure your cellphone will be fully charged in emergency.5 power options,never worry it power off anytime.when the built-in li-ion battery is power off,it will be charged by the backup power sources include winding up handle,solar crank or micro USB input connection or 3 pcs AAA battery.
- ▲Handy Bright 𝗖𝗮𝗺𝗽𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗙𝗹𝗮𝘀𝗵𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 & 𝗟𝗘𝗗 𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗟𝗮𝗺𝗽▲When power failure In the emergency,wind up 𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗰𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗸 to work as a handy LED flashlight to light up in full darkness to keep you safe.flip up the solar panel to become a reading lamp with built in 6 bright LEDs to illuminate your way to the bedroom at night,as well as a must-have for camp in tent outside.
- ▲𝗘𝗺𝗲𝗿𝗴𝗲𝗻𝗰𝘆 𝗖𝗲𝗹𝗹𝗽𝗵𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗴𝗲𝗿&Loud SOS Alarm▲Your Cellphone will Never Power Off even blackout and internal Li-ion Battery outages,hand crank continuously genarate power to recharge the built-in battery and connect the included usb output charging cable for cellphone charging.allow you to make a phone call for help or get in touch with your family in emergency.The red SOS flashing beacon which is morse code and loud enough to attract the attention of would be rescuers.
- ▲3.5mm Headphone Jack,Package include Compass & Nylon Wrist Strap & Carabiner Clip for Easy Carry▲it is updated with 3.5mm headphone jack to provide personal listening without disturbing others.Extra compass attached to strap is very helpful to show you orientation when you get lost outside.the strip is adjustable to carry,and you can also attach the clip to your backpack for your convenience outside.we seller provide one-year warranty,reach us by support email address if you have any question.
- 【EXCELLENT RECEPTION】Using powerful DSP chip as OMEW emergency radio brain achieves superior AM/FM/SW reception. Multi-band radio receivers will give you all-hazards emergency messages alerted by NOAA in your local area. OMEW weather alert radio broadcasts warnings and post-event information for all types of hazards: Tornadoes, hurricane, winter storm, floods, Thunderstorm, earthquakes, and various non-weather hazards etc.
- 【RECHARGABLE & 6000mAh BATTERY BACKUP】Specially designed as emergency supplies and equipped with 6000mAh large battery capacity to long last the power for every single emergency use and outdoor adventures. OMEW battery powered radio can double as a portable charger to keep your devices powered for summon help. Upgraded overvoltage protection design will protect itself and the powered devices for safer use.
- 【GREEN POWER SUPPLY】OMEW portable survival radios recharge from solar panel and hand crank. TWO alternative ways to recharge: through the wall outlet or the car outlet. 4 power indicator lights show the remaining battery clearly for you to keep track of the power and multiple charging options ensure the emergency radio never run out of battery when you need it most. This lightweight wind up radio is easy to carry and operate wherever you go
- 【S.0.S. & BRIGHT LED FLASHLIGHT & READING LIGHT】 The S.O.S. feature is extremely effective in getting attention and letting others in your vicinity know that something is wrong. Extremely bright LED flashlight emits 130 lumens with 3 modes. Press the LED light switch to change the mode. Makes an ease and warm environment while chat with your families, and will bring you countless beautiful nights without worrying about the power outage.
- 【QUALITY ASSURANCE AND COMPLETE CERTIFICATION】Given the increasingly uncertain nature of the world, it has occurred to us that maybe we should give some thought to what we would (will) do if we ever find ourselves in a Time of Dire. -Be predictable in the face of unpredictable- OMEW emergency crank radio will be a good helper for emergency. Package includes: 1* 6000mAh emergency radio, 1* charging cable, and 1*user manual.
- NOAA WEATHER SCAN + ALERT - NOAA Weather Scan will automatically scan through 7 available weather (WX) band channels with flood, tornado, thunderstorm, civil danger warnings, and more. It also locks onto the strongest weather channel to alert you of severe weather updates. NOAA Weather Alert will sound an alarm indicating that there is a risk of severe weather hazards and emergencies in your area.
- PROGRAMMING - S.A.M.E. - The Specific Area Message Encoding automatically locks on to your county’s NOAA weather radio signal requiring minimal programming from the user. CUSTOM - Program your radio to receive weather alerts/warnings from up to 25 different counties and be alerted only when those specific counties are threatened.
- WARNING SYSTEM OPTIONS - Customize the way that you would like to be alerted: 85 dB siren alarm, voice alert, or visual LED flasher.
- EMERGENCY POWER BACK UP - The 4 “AA” Alkaline batteries (Not Included) keeps your radio operating during power outages or outside use.
- ALARM CLOCK - The built-in clock features an alarm with a snooze button and a AM/FM Radio. Wake up to local weather, AM/FM, or buzz. It automatically switches from AM/FM to pertinent all-hazard alerts..
- A Life Saver radio! Get notified first for every weather alert in your area, such as hurricanes, tornadoes and severe storms, earn a critical time to prepare and save you and your family with this spectacular NOAA weather radio. Keep one in your emergency bag, you'll be happy you did.
- BUILD TO LAST – Used by 2 AA batteries that found in every household, this radio will last for days after the storm have passed and the power will back on. So, go ahead prepper yourself for the storm by clicking the add to cart button.
- Best reception in the market – Get weather broadcasts at a crystal-clear sound from anywhere in the US, thanks to our upgraded DSP Chip, 6-inch telescoping antenna and a high-performance built in speaker.
- PERFECT SIZE – A hand held portable radio, it will easily fit into your pocket or any emergency bag and receipt almost any frequency range: WB:162.400-162.550MHz AM:520-1710KHz, FM:87-108MHz
- WE CARE about you and your love ones! Vondior has helped more than 150,000 USA Civilians to live through the hurricane season and snowstorm season. We back our NOAA weather radio with 3 years Warranty! And our customer service is here for you 24/7 for anything you need!
- AM/FM/Shortwave Radio & NOAA Weather Alert - This portable radio has a wide range of band reception of AM, FM, Shortwave and NOAA weather stations with the extended telescopic antenna. Shortwave Radio allows you to receive some weird stations from other locations. There are also 7 weather channels are pre-programmed so you can easily tune into your local one, you will hear a Loud Alarm Sound from the NOAA weather signals if there is a severe weather hazard in your area such as storm, hurricane
- 5 Power Sources & 5000mAh Power Bank - This weather radio supports 5 way to keep device powered. It comes with the upgraded 5000mAh rechargeable power bank to charge your cell phone, tablets or other devices. In case the built-in Li-ion battery is power off, the solar panel and the crank lever can keep your radio connected and powered. You can install 3 AAA batteries into the compartment when you are not able to regenerate power, also you can just simply plug the radio in wall with DC adapter.
- 2 Bright Light Sources & Compass - Light is important when you are in the dark, this crank radio comes with 3W flashlight and a 6 LED reading lamp, which are brighter than other radios in the market, with easy to reach switch button at the right side, user-friendly design to adjusts the reading lamp to the front, making it easy for users to set and adjust the radio when they are outdoors. The campass attached on the carry strap can guide you to the correct directions when you lose your way.
- Loud SOS Alarm Flashing Red Light & 3.5mm Headphone Jack - Simply press the SOS button for asking for help in case you are in danger or you would like to warn someone else, the SOS alert sound is extremely loud and can be heard miles away. There will be a flashing red light on in the meantime; The earphone jack on the right side of the radio allow you to enjoy the your favorite audio more clearly.
- Easy to Carry & 12 Months Replacement Warranty - The size for this weather radio is just7.5*3.5*4.7 inch with 1.2LB weight, and we have included a carry strap and a hang buckle so you can take it anywhere you want, this emergency radio is made of strong ABS material which is IPX3 water resistance. A necessary tool for camping, traveling, backpacking or any other outdoor activities. A ideal gift option for adventurers. - We provide our customers with 12-Months Warranty.
- 5000mAh Power Bank - TENROOP portable emergency radio has upgraded to 5000mAh Li-ion battery, which is two or even five times that of other emergency weather radio. Better solve the problem of emergency crank radio battery life and battery endurance. This outdoor portable solar radio which with large capacity battery can make it easier provide emergency power to any small tablet or phone when you are outside.
- AM/FM/NOAA Radio - This portable emergency weather radio with weather band and phone charge professionally get weather broadcasts the latest weather and all information for your areas like hurricanes, tornadoes and so on from 7 NOAA stations at a crystal-clear sound. Earns a critical time for you to get full preparation advance, keeping you and your family safe with this emergency weather radio.
- 4-Way Power Sources - This weather radio is equipped with multiple power backup options-4 power sources including a hand crank, solar panel, 3 pieces of AAA batteries (not included) and USB to type c port for built-in Li-ion rechargeable battery to easily get power ,thus keep the radio running during a prolonged situation where AC power is off and batteries have been used up. Power up anytime and anywhere. Keep you online all the time.
- SOS Alarm and Reading Lamp - This flashlight radio, with SOS alarm and 3W large powerful speaker, is great for outdoor enthusiast, it can emit a clear loud emergency call and accompany with SOS signal light which can make you get help faster when you get lost outdoor. 3 mode reading lamp provides cold white, warm white and natural white light modes, you can read stories for children even at camping night. The 3.5mm headphone jack allows you to enjoy radio shows without disturbing others.
- Prepare for Hurricanes- This IPX3 waterproof crank weather radio, with backup power source, is reliable and necessary for home use and outdoor activitis, it helps you get ready before any emergency events. Package including: 1*NOAA Weather Radio with Built-in Li-ion Battery,1*USB to type c Charger, 1*User Manual. We back our solar radio with 12-months warranty and lifetime technical support.
- Public-alert certified monitor receives 7 NOAA channels with flood, tornado, thunderstorm, and other warnings
- SAME alert programming sounds an alert only when specific counties are threatened
- 25-county memory system; 90 dB siren, voice alert, and flashing LED warning systems
- Uses three AA alkaline batteries for emergency power back-up in the event of power outage
- Built-in clock with alarm and snooze; measures 6.0 x 1.5 x 5.0 inches (W x H x D); 1-year warranty
- NEVER NEEDS BATTERIES. RUNS ON SOLAR POWER! The Emergency Solar Hand Crank Radio provides peace of mind for campers, boaters and anyone susceptible to sudden, severe weather. It has digital AM/FM radio, plus seven 24-hour NOAA weather stations. Switch on the Weather Alert mode, and this radio will turn on automatically if there is a local weather alert. Features include a 3-LED flashlight, USB smartphone charging port, digital clock, headphone jack, telescoping antenna and backlit screen.
What to Look for When Choosing an Emergency Radio
Reception & Ability to Receive NOAA alerts
Emergency radios are primarily used for keeping you informed. Your radio should be able to pick up AM/FM stations and NOAA weather stations. Radios that provide solid reception are most likely to do this. To better pick up radio waves, look for a radio that has a telescopic antenna.
A power outage is likely to occur during an emergency. You should have multiple charging options available for your radio. Changing the battery will give you a full recharge in the fastest and easiest way.
We prefer radios that can be powered by disposable batteries. Without such a financial investment, you can easily stockpile and get several days of power.
While solar charging is useful, it can be slow, and it only works if the sun is shining. Bad weather can make this problematic. A second charging method – such as a hand crank – is therefore vital.
There is no such thing as a ‘standard’ hand crank, so pay attention to how much power each crank can provide. Look for a radio that gives you a good ratio of listening time per minute of cranking, like 10 minutes of listening per minute of cranking.
Nevertheless, the longer the battery lasts, the less likely it is that you’ll have to keep cranking it to keep it running. In general, emergency radio batteries are around 2,000-2,600 mAh, which should allow you to use the device for up to a day before it needs to be recharged.
When used sparingly, small and lighter radios will have 850-1,000 mAh, providing enough power for short emergency and camping trips.
A radio equipped with an emergency buzzer or an SOS signal can have many features, including a table lamp, an LED flashlight, and USB charging. Many radios can be charged via USB. You will get half to a full charge with a larger battery (2,000 mAh, for example). Choose a larger battery if your phone is a priority.
You should look for a radio that has an emergency feature so you can be alerted when the NOAA issues a severe weather warning. With most radios, you’ll find a good flashlight as standard equipment.
If you become trapped in your home by a flood or lost in the woods, look for features that will help people find you. Red blinking LED lights and flashlights with blinking or SOS functions are excellent options, as are an ultrasonic dog whistle, an audible alarm, or a buzzer that can help search teams pinpoint your location.
Durability & Waterproofness
In inclement weather or an emergency situation, you’re likely to drop your radio or get it wet. If you want a tough radio, look for one built with a rubber bumper or impact-resistant rubber.
Become familiar with the IPX rating system, which measures a device’s waterproofness. Water resistance varies from breaking down upon leakage (IPX0) to withstanding powerful jets of water (IPX9K).
Almost all of the radios we’ve found are IPX3 (capable of withstanding light rain) or IPX4 (standing up to splashes from any direction).
Emergency Preparedness Tips
The right supplies must also be readily accessible, in addition to being stored in the right place. Be sure to know how to operate your radio before you need it. Be sure to keep additional batteries on hand as well.
Having all necessary emergency supplies in a tote box or duffel bag is a good idea. The kit includes bottled water, a water filter, a first aid kit, and shelf-stable food.
Stocking up on gear and supplies should include the wirecutter emergency radios. In an emergency, they can save your life, so there’s no reason to delay their purchase.
You can rest assured that all the experienced survivalists and preppers we know own one (if not more) of these handy devices. You’ll be glad you invested in them.