Wirecutter cutting boards are as essential to a kitchen as a serrated blade or cast-iron skillet. The risk of injury increases if the surface is too flimsy or too slippery. Choosing the right one can be difficult with so many options on the market. How sanitary is plastic in comparison to wood? Will your knives dull if you use a plastic handle?
Is there anything you can put in the dishwasher? While end grain wood may have been the standard for years, there are also some stylish (and sustainably sourced) models you can choose from that won’t ruin your blades. We consulted professionals who make knives, chefs, and culinary experts in order to narrow down the options. Fortunately, their selections are indeed top-notch.
Wirecutter Cutting Board Reviews:
- EXPANSIVE SURFACE – With this extra spacious worktop, there’s not much you can’t do on this board. As the largest in our collection, it was designed to handle everything from dough kneading, pasta making, and brisket carving, to preparing and serving family meals.
- SMALL BUSINESS, BIG SERVICE – We are a small Los Angeles brand and our customers are our #1 priority. We cut no corners in our products and we will cut no corners in our support to you.
- STABILITY – Our 1.5 inch thick butcher block style board allows for stability while cutting and the integrated finger grips make it easy to lift, flip or transfer from kitchen to table.
- MULTIPURPOSE, REVERSIBLE – The reversible design offers the use of either side for prepping and chopping. One side is finished without a juice groove to expand your cutting or serving surface without any interruption.
- WARRANTY – We stand behind our products, and in the unlikely event of a manufacturing defect, we will replace your board free of charge within 1-year of your order. Warranty registration and care instructions included.
- THREE BOARDS FOR ALL KITCHEN TASKS. It’s a Bamboo Cutting Board, 3 pcs set - a small board on a trip, a medium-sized one for small chopping tasks, and the big one during party meal prep. 3 optimal sizes: 15”x10”x0.6”, 12”x8”x0.6”, 9”x6”x0.6”. The art of cooking begins with this cutting board set! Cutting boards and butcher blocks.
- KNIFE-FRIENDLY SURFACE. Smooth bamboo wood doesn’t dull your knives and feels easy to cut on. Also, there will be no scratches and marks on the board. The high-quality cutting board set is made from bamboo and will work great for your chopping boards needs.
- NO MESS WHEN CUTTING. Royal Craft Wood cutting boards for kitchen have deep grooves that catch meat and fruit juices. Your workspace will be clean and well-organized even during the busiest cooking moments.
- OUTSTANDING QUALITY! This cutting board is a quality product made for years of use, we offer a 1-year warranty for this bamboo cutting board set with juice groove, as well as a 100% Money-Back guarantee. If you are not absolutely thrilled at it, we will fully refund you.
- SIDE HANDLES FOR A KILLER SERVING TRAY. Use the cutting-chopping-cheese board as a platter to serve cheese and charcuterie - it is comfortable to carry and good-looking.
- ✅Dedicated to A Superior Customer Experience - You are important to us, and we are devoted to serving your needs with exceptional kitchen accessories. We value our customers and that’s why we craft our products with only the highest quality materials!
- ✅Quick, Easy, Safe and Convenient Food Prep is Yours - Our dishwasher safe, thick cutting boards with non-skid edges grip counters and remain in place during use. Food grade plastic is BPA and latex free. Our set offers four sizes from big cutting boards to small cutting boards for kitchen. Comes with a unique storage holder for a tidy workspace.
- ✅The Kitchen is the Heart of Your Home - No matter what color scheme or countertop surface your kitchen has, you’ll find a perfect match with your choice of our chic monochrome boards, with modern curves and ergonomic handles. Our large black and white cutting boards add an attractive detail to any kitchen.
- ✅Designed to Simplify Your Life - We've taken the best elements of all available plastic cutting boards on the market and created a product designed to save you time and make your experience in the kitchen fun. Easy grip handles, label icons, and built-in juice groove make our set of 4 chopping boards for kitchen use the best in the business.
- ✅Less Work and No Worry - Ensure sanitation as our double-side use cutting boards with juice grooves have handy icons that signify the board's use. Easily identify your meat cutting board, bread, fruit, and vegetable cutting board. No scrubbing for you and increased safety for your family.
- NATURAL ORGANIC BAMBOO: Made from natural organic bamboo which is environmentally friendly and food safe, strong and resilient, ideal for slicing bread, fruits, vegetables, meats, steaks, cheeses, or as a serving tray. Compared to plastics’, which are brittle and unhealthy, bamboo contains no BPA, no formaldehyde and is friendly to forests and oceans.
- SUPERB CRAFTSMANSHIP: Exquisite craft makes this cutting board very durable and strong, but not overly thick. After meticulous polishing, it is very smooth and extremely flat, without any burrs, cracks, splinters, etc.
- KNIFE-FRIENDLY SURFACE: The very flat surface causes no damages to the knife like cracks or dullness. Treated with edible oil, the smooth cutting board will not make the blade worse, and there will be no scratches and marks on the board.
- LARGER THICKER SIZE YET PROPER WEIGHT: We designed a larger and thicker cutting board size: 18”L, 12”W, 0.8”H, which is stable on the countertop when cutting heavy things, such as watermelon, or chopping meat into ground, but meanwhile it’s not be too heavy to be carried.
- JUICE GROOVE & INNER HANDLE DESIGN: Surrounded built-in juice groove is close to the edge to maximize the cutting area while perfectly catch excess liquids without overflow to the countertop, meanwhile the grooves are not too narrow to clean. The inner handles are on the back taking no cutting areas and branding space doesn't take up much space, as well as the hanging hole.
- ❤Color Coded Cutting Mats with Food Icons: Red for meat,Green for vegetables, Blue for fish, Yellow for fruit.These cutting boards is helpful to keep the food original and avoid mixing food flavors caused by mixing cutting board while cutting food.
- ❤ GRIPPED BACK: The flexible kitchen mats have gripped bottom that could be put on most surface. For wet or very slippery surfaces, just place a dampened paper towel underneath for unearthly amazing stability.
- ❤Premium Quality Material: made of BPA-free material. The cutting board is more durable than the similar product on the market and built to last.
- ❤ Do not worry about the quality and enjoy your purchase.Any questions, please contact us directly.
- ❤EASY TO USE: Lightweight, flexible, dishwasher safe(＜90℃). Each cutting board is easy to store and curl to a certain angle, which is helpful to pour the chopped food directly and quickly for cooking or other use.
- ✅CARVING BOARD FEATURES: Large, Angled Carving Surface for Large Roasts, Turkeys & Steaks - Gripping Spikes Holds Food in Place while Carving - Drainage Slots - Removable Drip Tray with Spout - Easy Grip Handles - Non-Slip Feet Holds Board in Place when Carving
- ✅ MONEY BACK WARRANTY: If You Are Not Completely Satisfied, Returns Can Be Made Within 30 Days of Purchase. Purchaser Will be Responsible for Return Shipping. LIMITED WARRANTY: Six Months Limited Warranty for any Material Defects.
- ✅ INSERT CUTTING BOARD FEATURES: Large Cutting Surface for Fruits & Vegetables - Non-Slip Silicon Grommets - Interchangeable to Use on Main Board or Directly on Counter Tops - Made of Polyethylene
- ✅ DETAILS: Juice Collection Drawer with Spout Collects All Juices to Make Gravy & Easy Clean UP - BPA Free - Dishwasher Safe - Multiple Colors Available - 20.25” x 13.25” x 2.50”H - 6 Pounds - Made in USA
- ✅ CLEANING: Dishwasher safe - Place Cutting Board on the Lower Rack, Drip Drawer on Top Rack. For Best Results, After Wash Cycle, Remove Boards & Drawer and Allow to Drip Dry. Please Wash Entire Cutting Board with Mild Dish Soap and Warm Water Before First Use.
- A LOVELY GIFT – Our Italian cheese charcuterie board comes packaged in an elegant and luxurious black gift box, making it a fantastic gift idea for friends and family members on Christmas, Hanukkah, Valentine’s Day, Anniversaries, and Birthdays.
- PERFECTLY STABLE FOR CUTTING – Our wooden serving platter weighs a sturdy 4 pounds and measures at 16 x 9 x 0.8-inches, providing the ideal amount of space and stability to safely use as a wooden cutting board for meats, fish, vegetables, and more.
- GORGEOUS RESIN ARTWORK – We’ve delicately enhanced our Olive Wood cheese board by providing it with a touch of resin artwork, a natural oil finish, as well as applying a beautiful color strip of either ocean blue or black zircon across the center.
- SURPRISE & IMPRESS YOUR GUESTS – This also makes for a fantastic Olive Wood charcuterie board and wooden cheese board to serve all different kinds of appetizers, tapas, canapes, and more to delight all of your dinner party and wine tasting guests.
- HANDCRAFTED FROM AUTHENTIC OLIVE WOOD – This authentic Italian wooden serving board has been expertly handmade by our master woodcrafters using 100% real Olive Wood which is prized around the world for its rich color, density, and fine texture.
- 1:[Organic Bamboo and FDA approved,]: bamboo cutting board for kitchen is made of 100% natural bamboo, The board is well polished with a smooth surface.The board is well polished with a smooth surface, no artificial coatings.
- 2:[Keep Your Kitchen Clean]: our cutting board won't occupy large room of your kitchen with its extensible frame underneath the cutting board; 4 containers enough to retain chopped fruits vegetables or meat,
- 3.[Innovative Design For Home Cooking] : our cutting board for kitchen station could allows you cut and slide your steak at the same tine , and vegetable, fruits, or meat into containers that can be stacked, you can slide the food into the container while chopping, keeping your workplace clean and free!
- 4.[Easy Organizing & Collection] : Bamboo cutting board is uniquely designed to organize your cut veggies and meat on the go while you are preparing your food. Comes with Stainless Steel organizer trays to collect the ingredients. No more messy counter tops or using additional plates for collecting the cut portions.
- 5. [Perfect gift for your firends] : This cutting board is also giftable, it can be a great gifts for Housewarming, Weddings, Christmas, Birthdays, Mothers & Fathers Day.Especially as a housewarming gift.
- Grooved Design: Complete with juice grooves and non-slip handles, our chopping boards prevent sticky liquids from spilling on the counter for mess-free meal prep
- Durable: Tough enough to withstand chopping, slicing, dicing, and sharp knives, our large cutting board surface is made with heavy-duty, durable plastic that won't retain stains or odors
- Full Set: Coming with three distinct sizes including small, medium, and large, our cutting board set is perfect for multi-course meals or all-day use
- Versatile: Our plastic cutting board works great as a fruit or meat cutting board, fish cleaning board, carving board, or even as a sink cover for counter space
- Easy Clean: Designed for mess- and stress-free cleanup, our kitchen cutting boards are dishwasher-safe and won't splinter, crack, or peel
- Exquisite Craftsmanship - Kikcoin chopping boards are carefully crafted through more than 20 processes such as cutting, planing, and chipping to maintain the bamboo texture, not easy to crack.
- Meet All Kitchen Needs - This bamboo cutting board set includes 3 cutting boards of various sizes: an extra large size (17.0*12.0*0.7inch) suitable for meat or steak; a large size (14.0*10.0 *0.7inch) suitable for vegetables; a medium size (10.0*7.1*0.7inch) suitable for fruit. Various sizes of bamboo boards can be used for different occasion.
- Kikcoin cleverly designed these cutting boards with its own exclusive craftsmanship: 1. The surface is treated with food oil, so smooth bamboo chopping board will not dull your knives 2. Rounded corners to avoid scratches 3. Invisible handle design does not take up extra space
- Built-in Juice Groove - Built-in juice groove can effectively catch meat, fruit, or vegetable juice from overflowing the groove. Thus you can keep your work area beautiful even during the busy cooking time.Rubber pad can be added to the bottom (packaged separately, you need to install it yourself).
- Thick Design - Three layer thick bamboo board design makes it thicker and more durable, so it's durable to use for your family on a daily basis.
- Built in Juice Grooves: Juice groove along the border can help catching the juices from meat, fruit, or vegetable when cutting on the boards so that they won’t spill on your kitchen countertop.
- Reversible and Knife-Friendly Cutting Boards: Double sided design, one side with juice grooves for catching juices, another side has more space for cutting. both surfaces are strong and knives friendly.
- Grinding Area for Grinding Garlic and Ginger: We have added the grind place of two bigger cutting boards. (The small cutting board do not have) you can grind out the garlic or ginger on this cutting board set.
- Non-Slip and Dishwasher Safe: Non-slip rubber feet and handle makes the plastic cutting board easy to grip and keep these cutting boards stay on the countertop. They are made from thick, heavy-duty plastic, and non-porous design makes them dishwasher safe.
- REVERSIBLE: Boards feature a reversible surface, perfect for both meal prep and entertaining.
- KITCHEN ESSENTIAL: This set of 3 bamboo cutting boards are perfect for everyday food preparation, from slicing fruit to chopping veggies and is a perfect kitchen starter set, housewarming gift or back-to-school essential
- USE AS CHARCUTERIE BOARD: These cutting boards can also be used as charcuterie boards or cheese boards, a beautiful way to serve cheese, meats, olives, breads and any other appetizer
- 3 SIZES: Set includes a large cutting board: 11 inches by 14 inches; a medium cutting board: 8 inches by 10 inches; and a small cutting board: 5.5 inches by 8 inches
- NATURAL BAMBOO These bamboo cutting boards are great alternatives to wood cutting boards; bamboo is easier on knife blades, yet substantially stronger than traditional wooden cutting boards; bamboo is also one of the world’s most renewable resources
No products found.
- SELECTED NATURAL MATERIAL: Bamboo is a stronger, natural alternative to wood, easy on knife blades, it is more sanitary than than some other hardwoods, bamboo is one of the most renewable resources in the world.
- KNIFE-FRIENDLY SURFACE: The surface of our bamboo cutting boards is strong but flexible, so your knife won’t become blunt through regular use, and there will be no scratches and marks on the board.
- USE & CARE: Give your board a gentle wash after every use. Mild soap and warm water are your friends here, but steer clear of the dishwasher. Dry the board thoroughly with a towel right after washing, and it’ll always be ready to spring back into action. To ensure your board lasts a lifetime, apply mineral oil generously after every few washes (especially to start), or any time the wood feels dry.
- OPTIMAL 2-PIECE CUTTING BOARD: Set of two cutting boards in 11" x 8" and 14" x 11" sizes with 3/5" thick. The small board is good for quick prep-work, the large one is good for a party meal prep tasks.
- BUILD-IN GROOVE - NO MESS, NO STRESS - Our cutting board set built-in juice groove surrounds, the carving board to safely retain the juices from meat, fruits, or vegetables.
Plastic vs. wood.
Let’s start with materials. A cutting board can be made from wood (maple, cherry, walnut), bamboo (which is actually a fast-growing grass), or synthetic materials like plastic or rubber. But which is better? According to our survey, all chefs prefer to work with wood or bamboo boards.
For example, these boards have soft, supple surfaces, which are gentler on knives than plastic. The natural antimicrobial properties of wood and bamboo also make them less prone to scratches, which can trap harmful germs.
Despite their tendency to get less dirty, these boards are more difficult to clean. It means you have to clean them right away since they can’t go in the dishwasher – especially if you’re working with raw meat or pungent foods like garlic and onions. In addition to retaining more water and smelling more than synthetics, wood boards also need to be treated every few years with oil to ensure they are properly sealed.
Serena Poon, C.N., CHC, CHN, a celebrity chef and nutritionist, says it is not necessarily a bad thing that they require more maintenance. Despite their time-consuming nature, Poon describes these activities as a way to cultivate a certain type of energy in the kitchen. It is important to take care of your kitchen so that your food feels nourishing and full of love.”
Also, while wood boards are heavier and more cumbersome than plastic or rubber, they are also aesthetically more pleasing. Those who spend a lot of time cooking use wood as their go-to cutting board, but keep a lightweight, synthetic board nearby for quick cleanup after handling smelly or bacteria-prone ingredients. There is a time and a place for each of them in the kitchen.
How to choose a wirecutter cutting board
You really need to ask yourself one simple question: What type of cutting board do you enjoy the most? While there are some parameters for choosing a good cutting board (all of which we’ve taken into consideration here), for many people, the most important characteristic is how it feels in your hands. Here are the four important factors to consider when choosing a cutting board:
Cast iron skillets are the cutting boards of wooden cutting boards. However, they can be a bit bothersome as well. A wooden cutting board, for example, is considered the best option when it comes to knife edges, as it does not damage them as much, but it also requires more upkeep. Wooden cutting boards shouldn’t be washed in the dishwasher, and you shouldn’t let them remain dirty or unwashed for a long period of time to prevent them from staining or warping. Frequent use can also scar them, but you can sand them down and re-oil them for long-term use.
In addition to being easier to clean and store, plastic cutting boards are also less stable and sturdy when in use because of their weight. Fortunately, they tend to be cheaper, so replacing them after a few years of use doesn’t mean breaking the bank like a wooden board, which typically costs more than $100.
It’s considered a cheaper alternative to wood than teak and bamboo, and they are also easier on knives than plastic (or glass, which shouldn’t be used at all for cutting boards). Many bamboo and teak boards are also as sturdy as wooden cutting boards but at an affordable price.
Since composite materials are made from repurposed products, they are often eco-friendly, but they don’t always make good knives.
Cutting boards are like huge, beautiful canvases. A larger surface area allows you to do more. In the end, your storage space will determine how much you can use. If you don’t know where to start, a 21-inch side will work great; however, a 15-inch side will work better.
A large, thick wooden board keeps you stable while you’re cutting and chopping because it will not slip around. To prevent plastic boards from moving across your countertop while you’re working, they need a non-slip rubber frame or grips. To make your boards easier to carry, look for grips.
Last but not least, the appearance of the cutting board is an important factor to consider since you may have to look at it for some time. Larger boards are difficult to store, so they may become part of your countertop as a semi-permanent fixture. As much as you love your stove, you should love how it looks, is sized, and is made.
FAQ’s About Wirecutter Cutting Board
How do you clean a wooden cutting board?
The excessive heat from a dishwasher can warp or crack wooden cutting boards. However, hand-washing them can avoid this problem. You can easily clean your board using hot water, dish soap, and a regular sponge. Once your board has been thoroughly rinsed, let it dry on its side so that excess water can drain off.
In the case of raw chicken, fish, or other meats that can’t be consumed, you can disinfect the cutting board by washing it with bleach or a sanitizer solution and letting it dry. Mix one tablespoon of bleach with one gallon of lukewarm water to make a bleach solution.
How do you clean other cutting boards?
A bamboo cutting board should be cleaned in the same manner as a hardwood cutting board. The dishwasher is the best way to sanitize plastic, rubber, and ceramic boards that are labeled as dishwasher-safe.
How do you oil a cutting board?
You should thoroughly clean your wooden cutting board before oiling it. Let it completely dry before oiling. Therefore, oil can fully penetrate wood without getting diluted by water or food residue. To oil, your cutting board, use mineral oil, beeswax, or an oil that has been developed specifically for cutting boards. Any oil that can turn rancid quickly, such as olive oil, avocado oil, or safflower oil, should not be used.
The oil should be applied to a heavy-duty paper towel, or a soft fuzz-free cloth, and rubbed into the wood following the grain. Make sure the board is completely covered (including the sides and bottom if necessary). Oil your board additional times if it is particularly dry or continues to absorb oil rapidly. Wait at least one night before using the board again.
How should you store a cutting board?
Cleaning your cutting board begins with the way you store it. Despite the fact that it seems like you should stack your cutting board flat if you store it on its side, it will dry faster and more thoroughly. In this way, the board’s largest surfaces can easily air dry, and there’s less chance of debris accumulating when it’s not in use, so your board remains in good shape for years to come. When storing wooden boards, make sure they are kept dry since moisture can cause cracks.
Whatever your budget or skill level, there’s a board that will enhance your food preparation and presentation instantly. You can emulate the cool professional chefs’ style by choosing a solid wood block with an end grain; or, if you prefer the ease of use and cleanup, choose a dishwasher-friendly silicone model. Whatever you choose, there’s a pick out there that’s perfect for you. Go on out and do your best!