Homemade bread is delicious, but not everyone has the time or inclination to mix, knead, and watch a dough ball rise from start to finish. Baking bread is not a difficult process, but you need to be available to handle the dough at different stages. Many people don’t find the process convenient or practical because it takes multiple hours.
Today’s bread machine makes your life easier. The bread-maker process becomes faster and easier when you add all the ingredients and push a few buttons. You can also choose the ingredients that go into your bread and you can try out a variety of bread, from white bread to artisan loaves. In compiling our list of the top bread machines, we took into account features such as extra bread capacity, gluten-free settings, and extra features.
Check out these top bread machines.
Top 10 Wirecutter Bread Maker In 2022
1. Breadman 2 lb Professional Bread Maker
- Collapsible Kneading Paddle - The smartly designed kneading paddle collapses before baking to prevent holes in the bottom of loaves
- Perfect Bake Technology - Engineered to bake evenly for a uniform crust color, consistent texture, and excellent flavor
- Measuring Cup and Spoon Included. Wattage(Watts): 850
- 14 Baking Functions - Simply select the type of bread you wish to make and how light or dark you want it. This machine includes controls for gluten-free, low-carb, and artisan loaves
2. Hamilton Beach Bread Maker Machine
- FRESH HOMEMADE BREAD IN 3 EASY STEPS: Just add your ingredients to the breadmaker, select the cycle and press start.
- YOU CONTROL THE INGREDIENTS & NUTRITIONAL CONTENT: Prepare healthy loaves of bread without preservatives or trans fat using this Hamilton Beach breadmaker.
- VERSATILE WITH 12 CYCLES: Make dough, bake cake, or make delicious mouth-watering loaves of fresh baked bread. Cycles include basic, French, gluten-free, quick bread (no yeast), sweet, 1.5 lb express, 2.0 lb express, dough, jam, cake, whole grain and bake.
- GREAT FOR DOUGH PREP: Prepare a variety of yeast doughs in the breadmaker machine for dinner rolls, pizza crusts, cinnamon buns and more, then bake in a conventional oven.
- MAKE BREAD THE WAY YOU LIKE IT: Choose to make either 1.5 lb. or 2 lb. loaves, and select from 3 crust settings for light, medium or dark crust.
3. Cuisinart Bread Maker
- Cuisinart-quality technology promises superior crust, color and texture
- 12 preprogrammed menu options - fully automatic, easy to use
- 3 crust shades - light, medium, or dark & bakes up to a 2 pound loaf
- Vertical baking pan for counter-friendly compact design - removable kneading paddle and bread pan
- Lid with viewing window to monitor the process - interior light to check bread as it bakes
4. KBS Large 17-in-1 Bread Machine
- 🍞【Multiple Customized Nutritious Programs & 2LB Large Capacity】The KBS automatic bread machine has 17 practical programs for French, Whole Wheat, kneading and fermentation, Jam, Yogurt, Cake, etc, not only a bread maker. Additional convenience with Pizza Dough setting and Gluten-Free program. The "Quick bake"- bake a loaf in under 1.5H. It bakes 1 lb, 1.5 lb, 2 lb loaves, and 3 crust settings in light/medium/dark. Bring a variety of options to your healthier and tastier homemade bread.
- 🥪【710W Powerful Motor & Unique Healthy Non-stick Ceramic Pan】710W high power motor makes the kneading quickly and evenly, strong and durable, so that the dough is soft and elastic, while the overheating protection function extends the bread machine life length, motor noise is less than 40 db, which will not affect your sleep. Premium Ceramic Pan is designed to make the bread evenly baked and healthier for 100% no chemicals(BPA-Teflon-PTFE Free) and easy to clean.
- 🥐【Intelligent Fruit and Nut Dispenser & 15H Timer & 1H Automatic Warm/Fresh-Keeping Function】The detachable fruit nut dispenser releases the ingredients automatically at the optimum time. You don't need to keep an eye on the time. 15-hour Delay Timer allows you to enjoy fresh bread without having to wake up early. 1-Hour Automatic Keep Warm, 15-minute Power Interruption Recovery allow for healthy breads anytime!
- 🍰【Intuitive Digital Touch Panel Control & Sleek Stainless Steel Shell & 360° Surrounding Baking】 Large viewing digital Touch Panel is easy to view and select the cycle, crust, and loaf size. Stainless steel heat-resistant and not easy to damage, baked bread more delicious and healthy. Breadmaker with advanced baking technology and 710W power output design, it makes bread baking more efficient and faster. 360-degree baking for thinner crusts, fluffier bread, and more evenly healty color.
- 🍕【Superior Humanized Design & More Practical Accessories/Recipes Included】Large viewing window offers you a full view of the process. Click the start button to stop, long press the start button to cancel the current program, Maximum convenience for you. Including more additional accessories: Ceramic Pan, Kitchen Glove, Measuring Cup, Measuring Spoon, Hook, User Manual, more Recipes and Other Versatile Accessories.
5. Pohl Schmitt Stainless Steel Bread Machine Bread Maker
- 14 Settings For Perfect Bread Every Time - From now on you can make Whole Grain Bread, French bread, Quick Bread (no yeast), Dough, Cake and a wide variety of homemade bread to customize your bread just the way you like it.
- Digital Display With Delay Timer - Use delay timer to add ingredients and choose the cycle, crust, and loaf size, perfect for breakfast and entertaining. Baking has never been easier and more fun.
- Non-stick Pan - Removable interior pan for easy cleaning. Pohl + Schmitt Bread Maker also comes with one kneading paddle.
- Quick & Easy- The bread maker will “beep” to remind you to add final ingredients during the working cycle such as fruit, nuts or any additional cereals as you like. The handy viewing window allows the baking process to be observed at all times.
- The Best Quality With Pohl + Schmitt - We are here to offer you only the best quality products designed to make your life more easier and fun. If you need any help, please feel free to contact us, our professional customer support is always here for you!
- 🍞12 PRE-PROGRAMMED MENU: This bread machine offers various course settings to choose from which includes: Basic, Gluten-Free, French Whole Wheat, Quick Bread, Sweet Bread, Dough, Cake, Sandwich, Butter Milk Bread, Kneading and Bake – even pizza dough. Plus, it has an audible reminder for adding fruits and nuts.
- 🍰 VERSATILE AND LARGE CAPACITY: The CROWNFUL Automatic Bread Machine Maker features a 3-color crust setting: light, medium and dark crust. It has 2 loaf capacity of 1.5 and 2.0 lb. The five-layer stretch bread pan makes the bread evenly baked. It’s non-stick pan so it’s easy to clean.
- ⏰13H DELAY TIMER & 1H KEEP WARM: The delay timer is an important feature which allows you to load your machine with ingredients and set it to start baking before you wake up in the morning. You can set it up to 13 hours in advance with 60 minutes keep warm function. Also, it has a built-in 10-minute power interruption recovery to ensure fresh bread anytime. CROWNFUL bread machine offers healthy, freshly, easy and tasty baked bread at home.
- 💟 EASY TO USE & ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: Designed with LCD intuitive digital panel for easy operation and a large transparent window for easy viewing. It comes with the accessories you need: 1 x Bread Hook, 1 x Measuring Cup, 1 x Measuring Spoon and 1 x Recipe Book. Have fun making a variety of healthy and fresh breads whenever!
- 💌 1-YEAR WARRANTY & LIFETIME SUPPORT: It comes with a 1-Year Warranty for all parts and accessories and lifetime support from CROWNFUL. Customer Satisfaction is Our TOP priority; Feel free to contact us if you have any concerns or questions about the product.
7. KBS 17-in-1 Bread Maker Machine with Dual Heaters
- 🔥【710W Upgraded Dual Heaters & Unique Healthy Ceramic Pan】710W high power bread maker has improved 360° dual heaters, on the bottom and top of the bread pan that promote even baking and browning, most precise sensing the temperature of the cavity and intelligently regulate the baking process. Bread Machine's Removable Non-stick Ceramic Pan is designed to make the bread evenly baked, BPA-Teflon-PTFE Free premium healthier and easy to clean. Perfect gift for health-conscious family or friends.
- 🍞【17 Nutritious Customize Menus & 2 LB Large Capacity & Auto Nut Dispenser】More Than A Bread Maker. KBS Automatic Bread Machine has 17 automatic programs to choose from (Gluten-Free, French, Whole Wheat, Sourdough, Pizza dough, Fermentation, Jam, Yogurt, Cake, etc). The bead maker machine automatically kneads, rises and bakes. The fruit nut dispenser automatically releases the ingredients at the optimum time. It has 3 loaf capacity of 1/1.5 /2.0 lb, 3 crust color options in light/medium/dark.
- ⏰【15H Timer, 1H Fresh Warm-keeping Function & Advanced Touch Panel Control & Extra 8 Accessories】The digital bread maker is equipped with a large intuitive touch panel, which makes the operation easier and more precise. 15-hour Delay Timer perfect for breakfast without getting up early, 1-Hour Automatic Keep Warm, 15-minute Power Failure Backup allows for fresh bread anytime. KBS bread machine's accessories include: Extra thicken long heat resistant oven mitt, Measuring Cup/Spoon, Hook, etc.
- 🥯【Precise 360° Baking Technology & Various Homemade Recipes Provided】Engineered with precision baking technology and 710w of output power, KBS Bread Maker produces soft bouncy bread with consistent, even textures and prevents loss of nutrients, homemade bread is not only tastier but also healthier (fresher & no preservatives), saving time and money. Thoughtfully designed for the novice, the automatic bread machine is incredibly easy to use, the most important: turn out excellent results!
- 🍓【Sleek Stainless Steel Compact Horizontal Design & 2 Custom Modes】Stainless steel bread maker for long-lasting durability, rust-proof, elegant black exterior, and tempered glass cover make the bread maker more like a work of art, blend in well with any kitchen décor, the horizontal design is optimized to take up minimal space on your kitchen. Non-skid feet allow it to stand steadily on counter when mixing. 2 customize programs, set the fermentation and baking time according to your needs.
8. KITCHENARM 29-in-1 SMART Bread Machine
- 29-in-1 SMART BREAD MACHINE FOR NEWBIES & PROS - Your fresh healthy homemade bread is clicks away: just pick one of the many provided recipes or your own favorite recipe, and click a few buttons. - 29 Automatic Programs include 21 Bread Menus (Basic White, Sweet, French, Whole Wheat, Rye, Keto, Gluten Free, Sourdough..), 7 Non Bread Menus (Cake, Jam, Yogurt, Dough..), and the Fully Customizable Cycle-Level Programming HOME MADE Menu for almost any recipe. - Beginners Friendly & Pros Handy.
- UNIQUE 1-CLICK BREAD MAKING - All your settings are saved for the next use, including Menu / Loaf Size / Crust Color for a preset menu and your own settings for the HOME MADE menu. - It becomes 1-CLICK operation if you use the same recipe the next time: simply add ingredients and click the START button ONCE. - 29 Menus, 3 Loaf Sizes (1 / 1.5 / 2 LBS), 3 Crust Colors (Dark / Medium / Light), 15-Hour Delay Timer, 1-Hour Keep Warm, 15-Minute Power Interruption Recovery, ADD-NUTS Alarm, etc.
- MORE MENUS & RECIPES FOR HEALTHY BREADS - KitchenArm Menus & Recipes support both the high gluten bread flour and the less gluten all purpose flour that is inexpensive & healthier yet still makes wonderful breads; they are designed to handle fresh onions, oranges, zucchini, bananas, etc. in the most efficient way, so that the human preparation time is minimized. - Various Gluten Free breads & Whole Wheat bread w/o external gluten - 77 recipes included & hundreds more on KitchenArm Recipe Cloud.
- FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE CYCLE-LEVEL PROGRAMMING - You can explore your own variants based on a provided recipe for a preset menu, or create YOUR OWN MENU using the cycle-level programming HOME MADE menu (Menu #29) which allows you to specify each bread-making cycle time (KNEAD, REST, RISE, BAKE..) to fully adapt the machine to your own recipes. - It also enables you to utilize hundreds of recipes on KitchenArm Recipe Cloud. - This advanced feature is both Pros Handy and Beginners Friendly.
- QUALITY BUILD & DEVOTED SERVICES - ETL Certified Kitchen Appliance for US / Canada markets - US / Canada Standard Three-Prong Grounding Plug for electric safety and longer product lifespan - Matte polished stainless steel Housing, Lid and Oven Chamber - 2.5" Large Visual Digital Display - Discounted Original replacement parts available on Amazon - 1-MONTH Free Trial & 2-YEAR Product Warrantv & LIFETIME Free Customer Service including Cloud Recipes, Recipe Personalization, etc.
9. West Bend Hi-Rise Bread Maker
- Dual knead blades provide thorough dough kneading for a lighter taste and higher rise
- 12 digital settings include Basic, Wheat, French, Sweet, Dough, Gluten-Free, and Custom
- Custom Setting is perfect for the baker who is already familiar with bread maker baking. Fully customize your settings for the perfect loaf of bread
- 3 level crust control: Light, Medium, and Dark
- Instruction manual includes many delicious recipes, including garlic bread, wheat bread, bagel and pasta dough, even Low Carb and Gluten-free
10. Rosewill RHBM-15001 2-Pound Programmable Rapid Bake Bread Maker
- Auto Fruit and Nut dispenser
- 12 Digital Programs
- 13-Hour programmable delay timer
- Loaf Sizes: 1.5 lbs, 2 lbs.
- 60 minutes "keep warm" function
Here Are A Few Things To Look For Before Buying A Bread Maker
You should also consider how much bread you can consume before it spoils and to who you’ll be feeding the freshly baked loaf. While most breadmakers have different setting options for loaf size, the maximum size depends on the machine and brand. While certain versions can bake loaves that weigh two and a half pounds and can feed a family of four, there are also larger versions. Bread makers can theoretically produce larger or smaller loaves of bread, depending on their flour and water settings. The result may be a pale, underdone, or too far from the pan 2-pound loaf when baked in a 1-pound machine. If you bake a small batch of bread in a machine designed for larger loaves, the bread will have a thick crust and become exceptionally dry.
The Spruce Eats
Keep in mind that when you bake large, heavy loaves of bread, they will use more energy. Generally, bread machines have a power range between 500 and 1000 watts. The higher the wattage of the bread machine, the better it is for baking denser bread or loaves with lots of add-ins, such as nuts, seeds, or dried fruit, because it will be able to handle heavier bread.
Machine Size and Weight
Larger machines tend to have more options for making bread despite the fact that they are larger and less portable. When not in use, smaller machines are more convenient to store and have fewer settings.
Loaf Pan Shape
A loaf pan or from scratch can be used to bake bread, depending on the shape and size. Your loaves will all have the same shape since the bread machine bakes only one type of bread. It is most common for bread machines to bake tall, vertical loaves.
Most budget bread makers come with at least one kneading paddle, but higher-end ones usually have two. This makes kneading more convenient. The bread may have a hole in the middle when the kneading paddle(s) remain in the loaf while baking. Freshly baked bread is more convenient and easier to enjoy than this cosmetic flaw in the final product.
The Spruce Eats
If you don’t want the holes in the loaves in your bread maker, look for one with collapsible paddles or removable paddles. Those machines with removable paddles can be removed after the dough has been kneaded, and the dough can be placed back in the pan after removing the paddles for the final rise and baking.
An increasingly large number of capabilities are available in today’s bread machines; testing them out can be entertaining; nevertheless, a machine with too many options may not be the best choice for you. Will you be creating sandwich loaves on a weekly basis, or will you be experimenting with new types of bread?
Some machines are capable of producing sweet loaves, whole-grain bread, sourdoughs, French bread, pizza dough, and a variety of other types of bread. Using this method, the rising, kneading, and baking times are altered to produce the best loaf possible for the particular variety of bread. Individuals who wish to experiment with other grains and bread kinds can benefit from bread makers with additional settings; however, if you only want to produce sandwich bread to replace store-bought bread, a basic bread maker will suffice.
The Spruce Eats / Lindsay Boyers
Using the express bread option, a loaf of bread can be made in less than an hour.
It’s possible to bake bread machine dough in an ordinary oven by kneading it before baking. It’s possible to make cakes and muffins without having to mix or knead the dough. Bread machines can be used to make jam and yogurt, but only if you use the bread machine’s settings.
A dispenser built into the top of certain bread makers makes it easy to add fruit and nuts without having to constantly monitor the machine. It is possible to use the dispensers to add nuts, seeds, or dried fruit like raisins or apricots when you are putting the bread ingredients in them. They’re set to be released into the dough at this point in order to prevent the components from being crushed or pulverized.
There are many bread makers that allow you to choose the darkening of the crust, ranging from light to dark. This feature isn’t absolutely necessary for baking a good loaf, but it gives you the ability to customize the crust color.
Doughs with a sweeter dough brown faster, while doughs with a darker crust may require more time in the oven. When it comes to the color of your crust, choosing the same color each time is helpful since it is a matter of individual preference.
When you want to keep an eye on the crust browning in the bread machine, get one with a window in the lid.
When you make gluten-free bread, the dough behaves differently, and it is a complex process. There are several bread machines on the market that offer gluten-free options. Choose one that places a high priority on this feature. Others have a variety of gluten-free bread settings, while others only have one setting for gluten-free bread.
Make sure to research gluten-free recipes that have been adapted for use in bread machines before you begin. To avoid cross-contamination, make sure the machine that you plan to use to bake gluten-free bread is very clean.
Preparation time includes combining, kneading, rising, and baking. For those who want fresh bread in the morning but don’t want to get up extra early to measure ingredients, several machines include quick-bake alternatives (flour, water, yeast).
With a delayed start, you can have freshly made bread ready for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or any other meal.
Depending on the features you choose, a competent mid-range bread machine will cost you between $100 and $150. Some simple bread machines cost less than $100, while high-end ones like Breville and Zojirushi cost $300 or more.
One-year warranties are typically offered for bread machines, which generally cover manufacturing defects rather than normal wear and tear. The specific coverage can vary depending on the manufacturer and model, so it’s important to check in advance. Additional warranties are available from several companies, including Amazon.
Types Of Bread Makers
Vertical Bread Machines
In the beginning, bread machines made loaves that were tall and rectangular in shape. Even though the bread pans were square or rectangular in design, the resulting loaves were extraordinarily tall and vertically shaped. There are still vertical bread machines in use today. To save counter space, they are easier to store and take up less room. Smaller loaves and lower prices make them ideal for small families or individuals who don’t eat a lot of bread.
Depending on the bread’s unusual shape, you may have to cut it into smaller pieces to fit in your toaster. Due to the heating source being at the bottom of the machine, very tall loaves may bake unevenly, with a darker brown bottom and a pale top crust.
Horizontal Bread Machines
Look for a bread machine that produces horizontal and rectangular loaves instead of tall loaves baked in a loaf pan. Larger loaves are produced by these machines because of their longer bread pan and larger baking chamber. However, due of the higher baking capacity of this type of bread maker, it sometimes requires a larger counter space.
When kneading dough in a bread pan that is horizontal and rectangular, machines with only one paddle may be inefficient. A loaf that has more dough on one end and shorter ends or a tall middle with shorter ends is possible in this situation. Some high-end machines have two paddles for kneading the dough, resulting in a more consistent loaf shape.
According to industry norms, horizontal baking equipment is more expensive than vertical baking equipment. Priced from the low-end to the high-end, horizontal bread makers are widely available.
As one of the most popular brands of bread machines, Zojirushi (fondly known as “Zo” by their fans) offers a range of models with several options and extras that will make the bread-making experience even easier. For better results, some models have top and bottom heat sources built right into the bread maker. It is not cheap to buy a Zojirushi bread maker.
Although Breville offers only one bread machine, it’s worth mentioning since it’s a high-end, high-quality machine that’s consistently rated well by users.
One of the original bread machine manufacturers, Breadman manufactures both tall-loaf and rectangular-loaf bread machines. A simple, solid, quality machine without high-end features is offered by the company at a reasonable price.
Bread makers by Cuisinart are available in two styles, including compact models that save space and convection models that can bake loaves up to 2 pounds in weight. Compared to other brands, there are a lot of pre-programmed settings to choose from, and the warranties are longer. The prices are also reasonable.
Several different bread machines are available from Oster, most of which are affordable. If you have a limited budget, you may want to consider the Oster bread machines as an alternative to high-end bread machines. Additionally, the machines are very simple to operate, so even people who make bread only occasionally can use them.
In the same vein as Oster, this company also sells bread makers for an affordable price. Generally speaking, they are small and compact, giving you maximum counter and storage space. With Hamilton Beach bread machines, you get more kneading power compared to other low-cost bread machines.
Making homemade bread with a bread machine is easy and fast. The machines are pretty straightforward and follow similar instructions. A fine loaf produced by a bread machine tastes much better than a low-quality loaf. A bread machine consistently produces a fine loaf.