Hard water laden with limestone from the tap is good to drink in principle but has long-term damage to pipes and household appliances. This is why many homeowners and renters choose to add a water softening system to their homes. As you will see, this technology has become a necessity and is now affordable in terms of price rather than a luxury.
However, there are many Wirecutter water softeners that work in different ways to remove hard water from faucets. That is why I took the time to look at the different makes, features, and models available on the market today. Our goal is to help people who are looking for effective water softening at a good price/quality ratio. Here’s to start our comparison of the Wirecutter water softeners before looking at each model in detail.
Top 10 Wirecutter Water Softener
1. Whirlpool WHES40E 40,000 Grain Softener
- Whirlpool WHES40E water softener is ideal for households of 1-6 plus people and removes up to 10 ppm of clear water (ferrous) iron
- NSF certified to reduce hard water symptoms such as embarrassing stains, build up on your Plumbing and Faucets and spotting on dishes
- Whirlpool water softeners automatically Calculate how much salt and water is required to regenerate and only uses what is necessary, resulting in a significant reduction in salt and water usage
- Full 1-year parts and labor . The system can be extended to 2 years when you buy 3 bottles of Whirlpool WHEWSC water softener cleanser (sold separately)
- Dimensions: 19" D x 18" W x 47 7/8" H
2. iSpring ED2000 Whole House Water Descaler System
- [Improve Water Quality] Solves hard water problems without the need for chemicals, salt, or maintenance, while keeping healthy minerals in the water by preventing scale deposits from forming and allowing existing scale to break down.
- [Reliable Descaler] Descales your entire water system and prevents scale buildup in pipes. Reduces energy consumption with an average one year payback period. Great for your home and the environment, individuals on salt-restricted diets, and those looking for healthier skin and hair.
- [Environmental Friendly] Designed for very hard water areas (10-19 grains per gallon). Saves energy and extends the life of your appliances.
- [Easy Installation] No plumbing modifications required. Maintenance-free. Works on any pipe, even PEX and PVC. 1-year money-back and lifetime tech support from iSpring.
- [No change on Chemistry of Water] Unlike salt water softeners, ED2000 does not change the chemistry of water.
3. Capacitive Electronic Water Descaler System – Alternative Water Softener
- HOW IT WORKS BETTER: Yarna CWD24 is a Patented Water Descaler System designed to treat water for the whole house! Our descaling system treats water with electric pulses generated within the electronic unit and controlled by a micro-chip. These pulses are transmitted via our Ultra Flat Impulse Bands that are wrapped around the pipe and change the crystals in the water as it flows by, allowing for the breakdown of crystals that would otherwise buildup into limescale, which can break appliances.
- WHO BENEFITS FROM YARNA: We serve homeowners and small businesses by reducing the negative effects of hard water and protecting appliances. Our customers report cleaner pipes and faucets, lower costs for descaling and heating, and better overall water quality. Depending on the current condition of your plumbing and how large existing limescale deposits are, it may take up to three months to observe a significant improvement.
- EASY, CLEAN INSTALLATION: All you need is access to a minimum of 10" of free pipe space with a maximum pipe diameter of 1". Yarna water descaling system is completely DIY with no need for any tools or specialized help. Installation is simple, takes only 15 minutes and is 100% maintenance free. Our whole house water descaler works with any type of piping up to 1" thick including iron, copper, stainless steel, plastic, PVC, PE-x, and compound pipes.
- WHY DESCALING IS BETTER THAN SOFTENING: The Yarna CWD24 Water Descaler System won't eliminate wanted minerals from the water that are good for our bodies. The patented system allows the hardness level of water to remain unchanged before and after treatment, which mitigates the negative effects such as preventing minerals from forming scale deposits, which is the main disadvantage of hard water. Unlike traditional water softeners, Yarna does not require the use of salt or any water to be wasted.
- RISK-FREE 365 DAYS, 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: You will enjoy a limescale-free environment as long as our Yarna house water softener descaling system is installed. To that end, should you not be satisfied with the product's performance, you have a whole year to return it for a full refund!
4. Aquasure Harmony Series 48,000 Grains Water Softener
- Reduces hardness in the water, and eliminates scale, spot build up for the entire home.
- Rated to treat 48,000 Grains of Hardness by removing skin damaging hard minerals like iron and magnesium that clog up the skin pore and causes irritation.
- Equipped with Aquatrol Advanced Digital On-Demand Meter Control Head, in and out bypass, 1" NPT Male Adapter, and pre-filled premium quality resin.
- Featured, time delayed, metered and manual double backwash for optimum regeneration, cleaning, and performance.
- Every Aquasure Water Softener is constructed of High strength corrosion resistant fiberglass lined polyethylene tank, durable bypass valve and prefilled premium grade resin. It also comes with 5 year manufacturer warranty
5. Aquasana Whole House Water Filter System
- Clean, Great Tasting Water From Every Tap In Your Home - Removes 97% of chlorine. Plus, activated carbon is effective at reducing organic chemicals including pesticides, herbicides, and VOCs while allowing for a flow rate up to 11.8 gallons per minute.
- High-Performance Filter System - Salt-free conditioner, carbon & KDF filtration engineered to maximize filtration and reduce scale while leaving healthy minerals in your water. This system will NOT reduce Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)
- Cost Efficient & Long Lasting - Clean water for less than $0.01 a gallon - Save twice as much compared to other brands on purified water for 1 million gallons or 10 years
- Easy Maintenance - No draining or back flushing needed - Easily replace pre and post filters every 2 months for best filtration and flow rate
- Top-Grade Install Kit & Components - System includes filter tank, conditioner tank, 20" pre-filter, post-filter, brass fittings for 1'' or 3/4'' pipes, bend supports, and shut-off valves – Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately. Please review owner's manual before setting up.
6. Fleck 5600 SXT Whole House Water Softener
- Fleck 5600 SXT On Demand Digital Metered Water Softener
- 48,000 Grain 1.5 cubic ft of High Capacity Resin Pre Loaded in the tank
- Black USA Mineral tank shipped loaded with the resin in it already and a USA Brine Tank with safety float
- Includes free 1 inch noryl plastic bypass
- We love to help our customers with great toll free support
7. GE GXSF30V Water Softener
- Electronic controls - Easy to use up-front electronic controls with status light indicator
- Grain capacity - 30,400
- GE exclusive days to empty - Makes sure you never have to guess when to refill the salt tank
- Water usage - Uses up to 20% less water (based on internal analysis verses GE water softeners manufactured prior to 2009)
- Plumbing connections - Plumbing connection up to 1"
8. AO Smith Whole House Salt Free Water Descaler
- Salt-Free Scale Prevention - The AO-WH-DSCLR naturally reduces scale build up in pipes and plumbing using a salt & chemical-free system. No cleaning, backwashing, salt-bags or electricity required.
- Works For All Your Water Needs - System works effectively on water for use in drinking, cooking, showering & bathing. Perfect for households of 4 or more people. System will not reduce TDS, sulfur, or iron.
- Well Or City Water - Our Whole House Descaler is engineered to work with both well & city water systems.
- Long Lasting & Cost Efficient - Reduces scale build-up for up to 6-Years or 600,000 Gallons. System includes a 6-Year warranty.
- Includes one Whole House Descaler, shut-off valve, hose adapter and nipple - Limited 6-year warranty.
9. Whirlpool WHESFC Pro Series – Softener
- Save Money With A 2-in-1 System: Remove hard water minerals and harmful contaminants for families of 1-to-5 with one single-tank system instead of buying 2 separate systems.
- Superior Hardness Removal: This hybrid water softener/filter has a 31, 000 grain capacity, an above average hardness removal rating of 120 grains per gallon, and an iron removal rating of 3 ppm which helps reduce reddish-brown stains on drains and water using appliances.
- Water Contaminant Reduction: This whole home filtration system reduces sediment, chlorine taste, and odor from the water used throughout your entire home.
- Efficiently Use Salt: The WHESFC is a smart water softener, meaning it uses demand-initiated regeneration technology to produce soft water as your home needs it, reducing salt costs over the life of the system.
- Designed, engineered and assembled in the USA. Questions Call the Whirlpool helpline
10. APEC Water Systems ROES-50 Essence Series
- Supreme quality - designed, engineered, and assembled in USA to guarantee water safety & your health. WQA certified to provide unlimited clean, refreshing crisp tasting water superior to bottled water
- Premium long-lasting filters remove up to 99% of contaminants such as chlorine, taste, odor, VOCs, as well as toxic fluoride, arsenic, lead, nitrates, heavy metals and 1000+ contaminants. Max Total Dissolved Solids - 2000 ppm. Feed Water Pressure 40-85 psi
- America's No.1 rated water filter brand with 20 years of success guaranteeing trouble free, noise-free system for long lasting, dependable, pure drinking water. 2 year extended manufacturer warranty is available upon registration
- System comes with 100% lead-free designer faucet, plus certified JG food grade tubing and parts to provide safe, contamination-free pure water. Pipe Size: 1/4 inches.
- High quality leak-free quick connect fittings require no extra lock clips to seal leak - not relying on water leak detector to protect your home like other brands. Comes with all parts and industry's best instructions and videos for an easy DIY experience.
Why buy a Wirecutter water softener?
Any appliance that heats water (kettles, washing machines, dishwashers, hot water tanks) will have a shorter life when used with hard water. Therefore, it may ultimately be more profitable to install a Wirecutter water softener to replace expensive household appliances less frequently.
Additionally, lime-rich water tends to damage your plumbing over time. This results in a low water flow rate and sometimes even clogged pipes and the need to call a plumber.
It should also be noted that clothes washed with hard water tend to deteriorate much more quickly. This is also the case with tableware, which is bleached because it is marked by limescale over time.
Lastly, soap and shampoo are also more effective in the shower or bath when the water is not hard. Buying a Wirecutter water softener will solve these problems.
How do you know if the water is too hard?
First of all, ask yourself if you are experiencing the symptoms mentioned above, such as plumbing problems. But better cure than prevent, a very simple test is to fill a bottle half full of tap water and add a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Then shake the bottle and watch the reaction that takes place. If the mixture is not perfectly homogeneous and/or a thin layer of soap is present on the surface of the water, this is a sign that a Wirecutter water softener is probably necessary in your case.
To verify this, you can test the hardness of the water using a water quality tester, more commonly known as a TH test, which will give you an accurate value expressed in TH or PPM. Otherwise, you can simply refer to the map of the departments below:
How does a Wirecutter water softener work?
Without getting too technical, a resin water softener uses a process whereby hard water ions are exchanged for soft-water ions. This means that the calcium and magnesium ions are replaced by sodium (salt) ions. In order for the system to work, salt must be added from time to time, which will help to capture the lime.
For people who do not want to drink water passed through a softener or use it for cooking in the kitchen, it is possible to use this system by leaving some taps with hard water. Note that there are other types of Wirecutter water softeners but they are not available to individuals.
How do I install and maintain a Wirecutter water softener?
The newer models of Wirecutter water softeners can, in theory, be installed by a private individual “do it yourself” by following the instructions provided. In some cases, however, it may be necessary to have a professional plumber make sure the Wirecutter water softener is working properly.
Maintenance can also be carried out by the individual, making sure to add salt once a month to the tray provided for this purpose. Depending on the model, the filter must also be changed quarterly. Finally, the correct operation of the appliance must be checked regularly by means of a TH test to determine the efficiency of the softener.
How do I choose a Wirecutter water softener?
In France, we probably live in the same territory, but not on the same soil. In fact, each region has a different area, from north to south, from east to west. In some regions, the soil is rather granitic and sandy, which favors rather soft water, while in other regions, the soil is formed by sedimentary rocks, which makes the soil very calcareous, and that the water is very hard. For these regions with high water hardness, a solution is a Wirecutter water softener. It remains to be seen how to choose one. To help you, here are some criteria to check.
Choose according to the hardness of your water
Before choosing a Wirecutter water softener, it is important that you know exactly what it is about. Basically, hard water is loaded with lime, and the degree of hardness is measured in TH (Hydrometric Titer). For example, in a region with an abundance of limestone, the TH can be as low as 50 °, while in a region with particularly soft water, the TH can be as low as 5 °.
To soften the water, the softener uses a resin loaded with sodium ions. Hard water loaded with calcium and magnesium ions will then pass through the resin, and ion exchange will occur. Therefore, the efficiency of your Wirecutter water softener will depend on the degree of hardness of your water, but also on the capacity (volume of resin) of your appliance. Another factor is the average household water consumption, which is measured by the number of people who live in it.
Correspondence tables are easily found on the Internet, even in user manuals. But to give you some examples, for a water hardness of 20 to 25 TH, it is better to opt for a device that offers a resin volume of 10 L for 4 people, 15 L for 5 to 6 people, 22 L for 6 to 7 people, and 30 L for 8 to 10 people. On the other hand, for very hard water at 50 TH, this last volume of 30 L corresponds more to a 5 person household.
Note that capacity or capacity will also affect the dimensions of the unit. For example, some models can be installed under the kitchen sink, while others require a more spacious location.
Choose according to the characteristics
With the evolution of technology, it is clear that all devices carry different systems. For example, there are manual regeneration Wirecutter water softeners (more affordable) and automatic regeneration models. As hard water flows through the resin, it is drained of its sodium ions. Clocks must be reset after a certain period of time. This is what is meant by regeneration, and it can be done manually (you will have to control the hardness of the water), or automatically (you will have almost nothing to do, just configure the device).
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of installing a Wirecutter water softener in my RV?
With fewer minerals in the water, you will notice fewer stains on dishes, glassware, shower doors, and the surface of your vehicle after washing. You’ll also notice less mineral build-up on your kitchen, shower, and bathroom faucets and internal plumbing.
How does a Wirecutter water softener work?
When water flows through a water softener, a process known as “ion exchange” takes place. The hard minerals (mainly magnesium and calcium) in the water that enters the Wirecutter water softener have a negative charge. The water then flows through a layer of resin beads, which have a positive charge. When hard water circulates through the pearl layer, the positively charged pearls attract the negatively charged minerals and pull them out of the water. This demineralized water leaves the softener and enters your RV.
Are there other benefits to installing a Wirecutter water softener?
Yes. You will find that your skin and hair are softer after showering with soft water, and soap and shampoo easily lather up. Dishwashing soaps and automatic dishwasher soaps will work better, too.
All good things come to an end and the same can be said for our extensive guide to the best descalers on the market. Our team is dedicated to providing you with only up-to-date information along with expert advice. We hope our comments on Wirecutter water softeners have helped you choose the product you like best. As always, we are open to your comments and would appreciate any feedback you leave us. If you liked the article, show it to your friends or share it online. Please let us know if anything can be changed or improved. Thanks for reading and as always