A scale can be a bit intimidating, but keeping track of your weight can help you improve your health.1 Whether you’re raising your weight or lowering your weight, or simply looking to keep track of your weight, a smart scale can be a useful tool.
In addition to measuring weight, bathroom scales now provide information about fat percentage, muscle mass, and more. While all scales include the basics, some offer additional features such as connecting to personal health monitoring apps or measuring your body composition digitally.
Kim Mahony, RD, LDN and Corporate Manager at Lutheran Home Communities, says it is difficult not to get hooked on constantly checking your weight on the scale. The results of your weight can provide insight into your health to some extent, but Mahony recommends paying attention to how you feel, how your clothes fit, your body fat percentage, and your muscle mass as well.
The following are some of the best bathroom scales on the market.
Top 10 Wirecutter Smart Scale Of 2022
1. Eufy by Anker, Smart Scale P1 with Bluetooth
- USE WITH 3RD-PARTY APPS: Track your measurements on Apple Health, Google Fit, and Fitbit.
- HOLISTIC HEALTH: Instantly learn 14 insightful measurements of your body's health, such as Weight, Body Fat, BMI, Bone Mass, Muscle Mass, and more.
- WHAT YOU GET: Smart Scale P1, AAA batteries x3, Quick Start Guide, User Manual
- ACCURACY IMPROVED BY 10%: Two pairs of super-sensitive G-shaped sensors ensure more precise measurements compared to other sensor types.
- FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY: Track the health trends of up to 16 users from one account, and the large LED display is easy to read for all ages.
2. Withings Body+ – Digital Wi-Fi Smart Scale with Automatic Smartphone
- ACCURATE BY DESIGN - Wi-Fi ensures that your measurement is accurate anywhere in the world, and position control technology guides you into the correct stance so that each weigh-in is precise.
- #1 SELLING SMART SCALE IN THE US
- HIGHLY COMPATIBLE - This smart scale syncs with apple watch plus more than 100 top health and fitness apps including Apple health, Fitbit and Google fit.
- AUTOMATIC SYNCHRONIZATION - Data from every weigh-in appears automatically via Wi-Fi in the free health Mate app. Power supply: 4x 1.5V Alkaline cells (AAA) - Average battery lifetime of 18 months
- FULL BODY COMPOSITION - Monitors weight (kg, lb, st), body fat & Water %, plus muscle & bone mass. Accurate weight measurement to 100 g
3. Body Fat Scale, Bveiugn Smart Scale
- 13 Essential Body Composition - The smart scale not only shows weight but also BMI, body fat, subcutaneous fat, body water, protein, BMR, body age etc., by electrical Bio-Impedance Measurement Technology. The data will sync to the app when your phone and scale connect successfully. It makes you know more data clearly about your body in time and track progress easily on your phone.
- High Accurate Scale - equipped with 4 high precision sensors and 4 good sensitive electrodes, with advanced technology to ensure your accurate readings with division at 0.2lb/100g, up to maximum capacity 400lb/180kg in 0.1 lb/0.05kg increments. With low power / overload indication, step-on technology and 2xAAA batteries included.
- Keep Tracking Changes with a Glance - Always keep an eye on your body to help you reach your goal. The Fitdays app provides detailed charts and saves historical data to track the changes of your body composition over days, weeks, months or even years. Reach your goals with Bveiugn scales for body weight.
- Larger platform more stable - The 6mm tempered glass and 11.8 × 10.2 inches surface are thicker and larger than most others, which makes it more comfortable and safer to stand on, and more clearly to see the White LED display data.
- Sync with Health Apps - Free download FITDAYS app on IOS and Android, and FITDAYS app can easily sync with other fitness Apps like Apple Health, Google Fit, Samsung Health, Fitbit and so on, which let you store and share your data more conveniently. Fitdays App allows you to create unlimited profiles 24 Users for your family and friends with only one smart scale. It is very helpful and convenient for those who keep fit and do health sports for improvement goal.
4. Withings Body Cardio – Premium Wi-Fi Body Composition Smart Scale
- Nokia Body Cardio- Wi-Fi Smart Scale with Body Composition & Heart Rate, Black OPEN BOX
5. Withings Body – Digital Wi-Fi Smart Scale
- #1 WORLDWIDE - WITHINGS IS THE INVENTOR OF THE SMART SCALE
- LONG LASTING BATTERY - Body will operate for up to 18 months using four standard AAA batteries (included).
- FOR EVERY STAGE OF LIFE - Keep track of the whole family’s growth with Pregnancy Tracker (healthy weight gain range and obstetrician-reviewed advice) and Baby Mode, to track the youngest members.
- PATENTED POSITIONING AID TECHNOLOGY - Exclusive Position Control Technology guides you into the correct stance so that each weigh-in is precise up to 0.1 kg / 0.2 lbs
- "ALEXA, ASK WITHINGS" - Now your voice can help you manage your weight with an Alexa Skill that works with Health Mate.
6. YUNMAI Premium Smart Scale
- 5 Seconds Setup. Local Customer Service. Free exchange/return within 30 days.
- 10 Precision Body Measurements -- Body Fat, BMI, Muscle, Hydration, Bone mass and More.
- YUNMAI APP Sync with Apple health and Google Fit.
- FDA Listed Smart Scale Brand. 5,000,000 + USERS AND COUNTING.
- 16 Users Tracking Management. Weigh yourself anytime WITHOUT phone.
7. WiFi Smart Scale, Scales for Body Weight and Fat BMI Scale
- 👣Fast connection: The scale can transmit data to your mobile phone via Bluetooth version 4.0 and above, or WiFi (2.5GHz), and quickly and accurately display all your body indicators in one second. You can synchronize data to Google Health, Apple Health, Samsung Health, and share data to these 4 APP data.
- 👣One Scale, Multiple Users: Have numbers of users under the roof? No worry! Healthkeep smart scale can intelligently identify and match eight users at most, sending body weight and other body composition data to the corresponding user profile. Users can conveniently receive the data on their own devices. No need to worry about privacy problem! This digital scale is ideal for gym members, bodybuilders, sport-lovers, households, etc.
- 👣Use connection steps: 1)Download Feelfit App on Google Play/ Apple App store. Support Android 6.0+ & iOS 8.0+ 2)Sign up your account 3)Open your Bluetooth and WiFi(Andriod 6.0+ need open GPS, can't support 5GHz Wifi). 4)Keep your App on the home page and wake up the scales start weighing. 5)Input your wifi password, the weighing data will auto-match. 6)See your body data on LED display or App
- 👣The size of the body fat scale is larger than all scales on the market. Easy measurement: You can see the main 7 body parameters on the scale surface: 1:BMI 2:Weight 3:Body Fat 4:Muscle Mass 5:Body Water 6:Bone Mass 7:BMR, even without a mobile phone Clearly understand your physical indicators.
- 👣Intelligent identification of users: After the user data is set, changes within 2kg of the set user data default to the current user; when the data difference exceeds 2kg, it will be asked and automatically assigned to the most matching user. Perfect match in 1 second. Sharing function, there is a friend function, you can see each other's data after adding friends and share your own happiness. A multi-user function, which allows multiple people to share an account (such as your family members)
8. KoreHealth KoreScale – Digital Scales for Body Weight and Fat
- HEALTH TRACKER AND ELECTRONIC BODY SCALE - Want to know what's going on in your body? Just step on these accurate scales for body weight. Unlike other bathroom scales for weight, our weigh scale will read your important vitals. The KoreScale digital scale does more than your ordinary bathroom weight scale. It's a biometric scanner with accurate info for a smart balance to fit your workout goals. As a body analyzer scale, it works as a weight loss scale, BMI scale, and more.
- ELECTRONIC SCALES FOR BODY WEIGHT HELP YOU REACH YOUR FITNESS GOALS - Your health and fitness is determined by more than just your body weight; it’s about knowing which metrics to monitor. Our bmi weight scale gives you the information that really matters. Monitor your health and adjust your workout to achieve better results using our accurate bathroom scale. Whether you're trying to lose weight or improve your fitness, our body weight scales are the perfect addition to your health regime.
- WIRELESS BLUETOOTH SCALE WEIGHT - Track your progress, easily understand your results, and monitor your weight loss or muscle gain in one place using the KoreScale app. The app is compatible with smartphones and is Bluetooth enabled. Unlike regular home scales for body weight, KoreScale bath scale will automatically store your results. It can act as a health tracker or digital planner to keep you informed 24/7. A scale for weight only provides one reading, this is a full body composition scale.
- DIGITAL WEIGHT SCALE MEASURES HEALTH, COMPOSITION, AND METRICS - This is no ordinary weighing scale. With our home scale, you can unlock important information about your body. Aside from reading weight, our electric scale for body weight also measures BMI, body fat, visceral fat, water levels, skeletal and regular muscle mass, bone mass, protein levels, and metabolic age. Know your body better with the best weight scale of this year, the KoreScale Scale!
- EXERCISE RIGHT WITH THE BEST SCALES FOR BODY WEIGHT - Take your home workout to the next level with the most accurate scale on the health market. Track your progress better with a bodyweight scale that measures body weight, body fat loss, and more. KoreScale is more than just a weight measure device, it's a wireless monitor and tracking device for important vitals. Along with your home weights and workout gear, this digital body scale weight will help you to reach your goals faster.
9. Garmin Index S2, Smart Scale with Wireless Connectivity
- sleek design features a high-resolution color display
- up to 16 user profiles allow multiple daily weigh-ins and unique goal tracking for each user
- sync with your garmin connect account via wi-fi connectivity to see your data, get trend graphs and more (requires the garmin connect app downloaded to a compatible smartphone)
- battery life: up to 9 months; uses 4 aaa batteries (included)
- Included components: Index S2; 4 AAA batteries; 4 carpet feet; Documentation
10. Vont Smart Scale, Wireless Body Fat Scale, BMI Digital Bathroom Scale
- FAST AND EASY SETUP - It’s smooth and syncs instantly with the VONT HOME APP. You can see your results on the app seconds after stepping on the scale.
- ACCURATE & RELIABLE DATA - With 4 highly-sensitive electrodes to calculate 13 body composition metrics, you’ll get precise body measurements. Plus, the auto-calibration feature measures from increments of 0.4 pounds up to 400 pounds.
- REMEMBERS UNLIMITED USERS - You only need one Vont Smart Body Scale to track everyone’s health progress at home, in the office, or the gym. The multi-user feature recognizes up to 8 registered users - plus unlimited guests.
- 24/7 CUSTOMER CARE & LIFETIME WARRANTY - Covered for life, it’s warranted against loss, theft, and defects in materials and workmanship as long as you own the product. Vont Customer Satisfaction Wizards are with you 24/7 – for life.
- COMPLETE BODY MEASUREMENTS - Vont Smart Body Scale features a full body composition analysis with BMI, Muscle Mass, Visceral Fat, Metabolic Age, and more - a total of 13 vital measurements on the app.
Wirecutter Smart Scale: Buying Guide
Consistency & accuracy
During the weighing process, we weighed over 250 times. Weights and humans were weighed. I would like to briefly clarify the differences between ‘coherence’ and ‘accuracy’ before we proceed. When a scale produces the same result over and over, it will be referred to as consistent. The reading on an accurate scale should be close to what the user actually weighs.
We weighed a subject who was not holding anything to get a sense of the scales. Using dumbbell A and dumbbell B, we weighed them, then weighed them with both dumbbells (49.6 lb), and then weighed them with both dumbbells together (25.8 lb). I’m guessing that the dumbbells are both meant to be 25 lbs, and yes, they’re both from the same company. The dumbbells weren’t weighted properly, so we used professional weights.
Consistency & accuracy of body fat readings
Prior to looking at how we tested body fat, a quick explanation: body fat percentage (BFP) is the total mass divided by the total body mass. BIA is the measurement method used by smart scales. By shooting an electric current through your body and measuring the resistance between the conductors, the smart scale can determine your weight.
The first step to measuring BFP was to establish a standard measurement of BIA. A few accurate methods of determining body fat exist, such as skinfold caliper readings (instrumental body fat pinching) and hydrostatic weighing (underwater). In order to compare the results of the BIA to the skinfold caliper result, we chose it as our standard because it has the highest accuracy-to-repeatability ratio.
For each smart scale, we tested two subjects with similar weight and fat composition on three occasions using the skinfold caliper and three times using the body fat percentage. In order to avoid discrepancies in body fat throughout the day, we conducted the tests within seconds of one another.
Ease of use
Standard and smart scales
We only considered a few factors while analyzing the performance of non-smart bathroom scales because there isn’t much to consider. To switch on the scale, only the most basic scales on the market require you to tap the scale. In contrast to other types of technology, “step-on” technology allowed us to simply walk on everything we studied without having to activate it first.
The clarity of the display was another element we looked at closely. There wasn’t much of a difference between the gadgets on exhibit because they all had similar backlights and display sizes. According to our measurements and comparisons, the area of the iDOO Jumbo – ES09-3089surface M was around 30% larger than the display and scale dimensions of the iDOO Jumbo.
Battery alternatives, non-slip bottoms, and ways to transport the products were all part of our research for this section. We ranked them according to how easy it was to change the batteries and what kind of batteries they utilized. As a result, for those who want to hide their scales while not in use, we graded the process of relocating each bathroom scale from one location to the next.
Smart scales only
For your convenience, we’ve divided them into two groups. We started by looking at how to keep track of your weigh-ins. The two smart scales with smartphone apps (Weight Gurus – 0375 and Yunmai Premium) proved to be the most useful. The app’s overall usefulness was next tested by adding new users, tracking weight, looking at graphs, and connecting to other apps like Apple Health and FitBit.
We also investigated the accuracy of body fat measurements using various scales (because after reading all the other reviews and comments this was the most desired datum from smart scale users). The measures’ precision and accuracy were evaluated.
Important features to look for
Large backlight display:
Even if a bathroom scale is precise, you won’t be able to use it if the numbers are difficult to read. Thanks to their backlit displays, we were able to easily view the numbers on all scales tested.
The design of a product shouldn’t be the only factor you consider when shopping, but the more it looks and feels good, the more likely you are to use it. Dimensions and weight are also important attributes to consider when shopping.
Weight tracking (smart scales only):
Having the ability to see the changes in your weight over time is wonderful because it takes away all the effort that would otherwise be required. By using the phone apps, you can quickly and easily visualize trends with graphs and other visuals. Even programs such as FitBit and Google Fit can be integrated with the Weight Gurus – 0375.
There are some scales that use Lithium CR2032, which is a flat, disc-like battery designed for use in digital scales. You can see the performance differences in the graphs from Energizer. It appears that AAAs last longer and are more reliable.
Standard vs. smart scales
In the realm of digital bathroom scales, your typical old-fashioned non-smart model can measure only one thing: weight. These scales often measure weight in pounds, kilograms, or stones.
It may seem strange that there are no spring-loaded mechanical scales included. There is a simple reason for this: mechanical scales are relatively expensive and perform about as well as smarter alternatives, but give you only the standard function.
In addition to measuring weight, they also offer numerous other features. Among these are body fat, body mass index, muscle percentage, water percentage, bone mass, body mass ratio, and protein percentage.
A bathroom scale is an essential tool for all of you who exercise, lose weight and track your health. Weight Gurus – 0375 is the most functional and informative smart scale on the market since it integrates with most health apps and Smartwatch programs. It was 99.83% accurate on just under 3,000 pounds and was integrated with just about any health app. In addition, the readings of body fat were consistently low, suggesting that it can definitely be used to track your body composition.
As well as the smart Yunmai Premium Smart Scale, there was also the standard Etekcity Glass EB4074C that performed well. With the former, you get an incredible smart scale that is very accurate down to the tenth of a pound, and with the latter, you get an ordinary scale that is perfectly accurate and consistent.