A scale can be a bit intimidating, but keeping track of your weight can help you improve your health.1 Whether you’re raising your weight or lowering your weight, or simply looking to keep track of your weight, a smart scale can be a useful tool.
In addition to measuring weight, bathroom scales now provide information about fat percentage, muscle mass, and more. While all scales include the basics, some offer additional features such as connecting to personal health monitoring apps or measuring your body composition digitally.
Kim Mahony, RD, LDN and Corporate Manager at Lutheran Home Communities, says it is difficult not to get hooked on constantly checking your weight on the scale. The results of your weight can provide insight into your health to some extent, but Mahony recommends paying attention to how you feel, how your clothes fit, your body fat percentage, and your muscle mass as well.
The following are some of the best bathroom scales on the market.
Top 10 Wirecutter Smart Scale Of 2022
1. Eufy by Anker, Smart Scale P1 with Bluetooth
- HOLISTIC HEALTH: Instantly learn 14 insightful measurements of your body's health, such as Weight, Body Fat, BMI, Bone Mass, Muscle Mass, and more.
- USE WITH 3RD-PARTY APPS: Track your measurements on Apple Health, Google Fit, and Fitbit.
- ACCURACY IMPROVED BY 10%: Two pairs of super-sensitive G-shaped sensors ensure more precise measurements compared to other sensor types.
- FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY: Track the health trends of up to 16 users from one account, and the large LED display is easy to read for all ages.
- WHAT YOU GET: Smart Scale P1, AAA batteries x3, Quick Start Guide, User Manual, and our worry-free 15-month warranty
2. Withings Body+ – Digital Wi-Fi Smart Scale with Automatic Smartphone
- #1 BEST-SELLING SMART SCALE In the US. One of the smartest digital scales for body weight, making it a bathroom essential and home must haves in electronic scale. fsa/hsa eligible
- BODY COMPOSITION - The withings scale functions as a bmi measurement tool or body fat analyzer. This bathroom scale monitors weight, measures body fat & water %, muscle & more. It's a fitindex scale.
- HIGHLY COMPATIBLE digital bathroom scale- This digital bluetooth scale, unlike other bathroom scales, syncs with apple watch plus more than 100 top health and fitness apps incl. Apple health & more
- AUTOMATIC SYNCHRONIZATION - Data from every weigh-in appears automatically via Wi-Fi in the free health Mate app. Making it easy to keep track at home workout progress. An Amazon must haves.
- ACCURATE WEIGHING - Wi-Fi to ensures your measurement on this body weight scale is accurate & position control technology guides you to getting a precise weight measurement to 100g .
3. Body Fat Scale, Bveiugn Smart Scale
- Keep Tracking Changes with a Glance - Always keep an eye on your body to help you reach your goal. The Fitdays app provides detailed charts and saves historical data to track the changes of your body composition over days, weeks, months or even years. Reach your goals with Bveiugn scales for body weight.
- 13 Essential Body Composition - The smart scale not only shows weight but also BMI, body fat, subcutaneous fat, body water, protein, BMR, body age etc., by electrical Bio-Impedance Measurement Technology. The data will sync to the app when your phone and scale connect successfully. It makes you know more data clearly about your body in time and track progress easily on your phone.
- High Accurate Scale - equipped with 4 high precision sensors and 4 good sensitive electrodes, with advanced technology to ensure your accurate readings with division at 0.2lb/100g, up to maximum capacity 400lb/180kg in 0.1 lb/0.05kg increments. With low power / overload indication, step-on technology and 2xAAA batteries included.
- Sync with Health Apps - Free download FITDAYS app on IOS and Android, and FITDAYS app can easily sync with other fitness Apps like Apple Health, Google Fit, Samsung Health, Fitbit and so on, which let you store and share your data more conveniently. Fitdays App allows you to create unlimited profiles 24 Users for your family and friends with only one smart scale. It is very helpful and convenient for those who keep fit and do health sports for improvement goal.
- Larger platform more stable - The 6mm tempered glass and 11.8 × 10.2 inches surface are thicker and larger than most others, which makes it more comfortable and safer to stand on, and more clearly to see the White LED display data.
4. Withings Body Cardio – Premium Wi-Fi Body Composition Smart Scale
- Nokia Body Cardio- Wi-Fi Smart Scale with Body Composition & Heart Rate, Black OPEN BOX
5. Withings Body – Digital Wi-Fi Smart Scale
- #1 WORLDWIDE - WITHINGS IS THE INVENTOR OF THE SMART SCALE
- ADVANCED WEIGHT MONITORING - See progress during each weigh-in with the weight trend screen to help you see the big picture, plus BMI to know if you are on the right track.
- MULTI-USER FRIENDLY - Up to 8 users can weigh themselves and access their personal weight histories, as the scale automatically recognizes who's who.
- FOR EVERY STAGE OF LIFE - Keep track of the whole family’s growth with Pregnancy Tracker (healthy weight gain range and obstetrician-reviewed advice) and Baby Mode, to track the youngest members.
- PATENTED POSITIONING AID TECHNOLOGY - Exclusive Position Control Technology guides you into the correct stance so that each weigh-in is precise up to 0.1 kg / 0.2 lbs
6. YUNMAI Premium Smart Scale
- FDA Listed Smart Scale Brand. 5,000,000 + USERS AND COUNTING.
- YUNMAI APP Sync with Apple health and Google Fit.
- 10 Precision Body Measurements -- Body Fat, BMI, Muscle, Hydration, Bone mass and More.
- 16 Users Tracking Management. Weigh yourself anytime WITHOUT phone.
- 5 Seconds Setup. Local Customer Service. Free exchange/return within 30 days.
7. WiFi Smart Scale, Scales for Body Weight and Fat BMI Scale
- 👣The size of the body fat scale is larger than all scales on the market. Easy measurement: You can see the main 7 body parameters on the scale surface: 1:BMI 2:Weight 3:Body Fat 4:Muscle Mass 5:Body Water 6:Bone Mass 7:BMR, even without a mobile phone Clearly understand your physical indicators.
- 👣Fast connection: The scale can transmit data to your mobile phone via Bluetooth version 4.0 and above, or WiFi (2.5GHz), and quickly and accurately display all your body indicators in one second. You can synchronize data to Google Health, Apple Health, Samsung Health, and share data to these 4 APP data.
- 👣Intelligent identification of users: After the user data is set, changes within 2kg of the set user data default to the current user; when the data difference exceeds 2kg, it will be asked and automatically assigned to the most matching user. Perfect match in 1 second. Sharing function, there is a friend function, you can see each other's data after adding friends and share your own happiness. A multi-user function, which allows multiple people to share an account (such as your family members)
- 👣Use connection steps: 1)Download Feelfit App on Google Play/ Apple App store. Support Android 6.0+ & iOS 8.0+ 2)Sign up your account 3)Open your Bluetooth and WiFi(Andriod 6.0+ need open GPS, can't support 5GHz Wifi). 4)Keep your App on the home page and wake up the scales start weighing. 5)Input your wifi password, the weighing data will auto-match. 6)See your body data on LED display or App
- 👣One Scale, Multiple Users: Have numbers of users under the roof? No worry! Healthkeep smart scale can intelligently identify and match eight users at most, sending body weight and other body composition data to the corresponding user profile. Users can conveniently receive the data on their own devices. No need to worry about privacy problem! This digital scale is ideal for gym members, bodybuilders, sport-lovers, households, etc.
8. KoreHealth KoreScale – Digital Scales for Body Weight and Fat
- HEALTH TRACKER AND DIGITAL WEIGHT SCALE - Understand your body better with Korescale G1. Unlike other weighing scales for people, our digital body weight machine uses 4 high-precision sensors to accurately retrieve important information about your body such as BMI, body fat, muscle mass and more.
- WIRELESS BLUETOOTH SCALE WEIGHT - Track your progress more easily by connecting the weighing machine for body weight to the Korescale app. The weight scale kg will send information directly to your device and store results automatically, so you can stay informed 24/7.
- DIGITAL WEIGHT SCALES FOR PEOPLE MEASURES HEALTH, COMPOSITION, AND METRICS - Aside from reading weight, our electric scale for body weight also measures BMI, body fat, visceral fat, water levels, skeletal and regular muscle mass, bone mass, protein levels, and metabolic age.
- WEIGH SCALE FOR ADULTS WITH LARGE, LED DISPLAY - Unlike non digital scales for body weight, our body weight bathroom scales feature a large LED digital readout that provides clear, easy-to-read measurements. A regular weight scale that displays all the information you need to reach your health and fitness goals.
- DIGITAL BATHROOM SCALE SAVES DATA FOR MULTIPLE USERS - Korescale bathroom scales for weight support multiple profiles, allowing you to easily track your own personal readings and review them without having to override data. The best digital scale for body weight and health measurements.
9. Garmin Index S2, Smart Scale with Wireless Connectivity
- get accurate measurements for weight, weight trend, body fat percentage, bmi, skeletal muscle mass and more
- sync with your garmin connect account via wi-fi connectivity to see your data, get trend graphs and more (requires the garmin connect app downloaded to a compatible smartphone)
- sleek design features a high-resolution color display
- up to 16 user profiles allow multiple daily weigh-ins and unique goal tracking for each user
- battery life: up to 9 months; uses 4 aaa batteries (included)
10. Vont Smart Scale, Wireless Body Fat Scale, BMI Digital Bathroom Scale
- COMPLETE BODY MEASUREMENTS - Vont Smart Body Scale features a full body composition analysis with BMI, Muscle Mass, Visceral Fat, Metabolic Age, and more - a total of 13 vital measurements on the app.
- FAST AND EASY SETUP - It’s smooth and syncs instantly with the VONT HOME APP. You can see your results on the app seconds after stepping on the scale.
- ACCURATE & RELIABLE DATA - With 4 highly-sensitive electrodes to calculate 13 body composition metrics, you’ll get precise body measurements. Plus, the auto-calibration feature measures from increments of 0.4 pounds up to 400 pounds.
- REMEMBERS UNLIMITED USERS - You only need one Vont Smart Body Scale to track everyone’s health progress at home, in the office, or the gym. The multi-user feature recognizes up to 8 registered users - plus unlimited guests.
- 24/7 CUSTOMER CARE & LIFETIME WARRANTY - Covered for life, it’s warranted against loss, theft, and defects in materials and workmanship as long as you own the product. Vont Customer Satisfaction Wizards are with you 24/7 – for life.
Wirecutter Smart Scale: Buying Guide
Consistency & accuracy
During the weighing process, we weighed over 250 times. Weights and humans were weighed. I would like to briefly clarify the differences between ‘coherence’ and ‘accuracy’ before we proceed. When a scale produces the same result over and over, it will be referred to as consistent. The reading on an accurate scale should be close to what the user actually weighs.
We weighed a subject who was not holding anything to get a sense of the scales. Using dumbbell A and dumbbell B, we weighed them, then weighed them with both dumbbells (49.6 lb), and then weighed them with both dumbbells together (25.8 lb). I’m guessing that the dumbbells are both meant to be 25 lbs, and yes, they’re both from the same company. The dumbbells weren’t weighted properly, so we used professional weights.
Consistency & accuracy of body fat readings
Prior to looking at how we tested body fat, a quick explanation: body fat percentage (BFP) is the total mass divided by the total body mass. BIA is the measurement method used by smart scales. By shooting an electric current through your body and measuring the resistance between the conductors, the smart scale can determine your weight.
The first step to measuring BFP was to establish a standard measurement of BIA. A few accurate methods of determining body fat exist, such as skinfold caliper readings (instrumental body fat pinching) and hydrostatic weighing (underwater). In order to compare the results of the BIA to the skinfold caliper result, we chose it as our standard because it has the highest accuracy-to-repeatability ratio.
For each smart scale, we tested two subjects with similar weight and fat composition on three occasions using the skinfold caliper and three times using the body fat percentage. In order to avoid discrepancies in body fat throughout the day, we conducted the tests within seconds of one another.
Ease of use
Standard and smart scales
We only considered a few factors while analyzing the performance of non-smart bathroom scales because there isn’t much to consider. To switch on the scale, only the most basic scales on the market require you to tap the scale. In contrast to other types of technology, “step-on” technology allowed us to simply walk on everything we studied without having to activate it first.
The clarity of the display was another element we looked at closely. There wasn’t much of a difference between the gadgets on exhibit because they all had similar backlights and display sizes. According to our measurements and comparisons, the area of the iDOO Jumbo – ES09-3089surface M was around 30% larger than the display and scale dimensions of the iDOO Jumbo.
Battery alternatives, non-slip bottoms, and ways to transport the products were all part of our research for this section. We ranked them according to how easy it was to change the batteries and what kind of batteries they utilized. As a result, for those who want to hide their scales while not in use, we graded the process of relocating each bathroom scale from one location to the next.
Smart scales only
For your convenience, we’ve divided them into two groups. We started by looking at how to keep track of your weigh-ins. The two smart scales with smartphone apps (Weight Gurus – 0375 and Yunmai Premium) proved to be the most useful. The app’s overall usefulness was next tested by adding new users, tracking weight, looking at graphs, and connecting to other apps like Apple Health and FitBit.
We also investigated the accuracy of body fat measurements using various scales (because after reading all the other reviews and comments this was the most desired datum from smart scale users). The measures’ precision and accuracy were evaluated.
Important features to look for
Large backlight display:
Even if a bathroom scale is precise, you won’t be able to use it if the numbers are difficult to read. Thanks to their backlit displays, we were able to easily view the numbers on all scales tested.
The design of a product shouldn’t be the only factor you consider when shopping, but the more it looks and feels good, the more likely you are to use it. Dimensions and weight are also important attributes to consider when shopping.
Weight tracking (smart scales only):
Having the ability to see the changes in your weight over time is wonderful because it takes away all the effort that would otherwise be required. By using the phone apps, you can quickly and easily visualize trends with graphs and other visuals. Even programs such as FitBit and Google Fit can be integrated with the Weight Gurus – 0375.
There are some scales that use Lithium CR2032, which is a flat, disc-like battery designed for use in digital scales. You can see the performance differences in the graphs from Energizer. It appears that AAAs last longer and are more reliable.
Standard vs. smart scales
In the realm of digital bathroom scales, your typical old-fashioned non-smart model can measure only one thing: weight. These scales often measure weight in pounds, kilograms, or stones.
It may seem strange that there are no spring-loaded mechanical scales included. There is a simple reason for this: mechanical scales are relatively expensive and perform about as well as smarter alternatives, but give you only the standard function.
In addition to measuring weight, they also offer numerous other features. Among these are body fat, body mass index, muscle percentage, water percentage, bone mass, body mass ratio, and protein percentage.
A bathroom scale is an essential tool for all of you who exercise, lose weight and track your health. Weight Gurus – 0375 is the most functional and informative smart scale on the market since it integrates with most health apps and Smartwatch programs. It was 99.83% accurate on just under 3,000 pounds and was integrated with just about any health app. In addition, the readings of body fat were consistently low, suggesting that it can definitely be used to track your body composition.
As well as the smart Yunmai Premium Smart Scale, there was also the standard Etekcity Glass EB4074C that performed well. With the former, you get an incredible smart scale that is very accurate down to the tenth of a pound, and with the latter, you get an ordinary scale that is perfectly accurate and consistent.