Looking for a gaming headset that will transport you to another world? We picked the Wirecutter gaming headsets available today for you.
Here’s a list of all the best wirecutter gaming headset options you can get right now. With them, you’ll be able to experience everything from big explosions and gunfire to that tense moment before a jump scare, making gaming more immersive.
There are headsets here that are compatible with PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, and Xbox, so no matter how you play.
If you’d like to check out the next time we update this list, bookmark this page. Scroll down to see which headset we think outperformed the rest.
Wirecutter Gaming Headset Reviews:
1. Turtle Beach Stealth 600 Gen 2 Wireless Gaming Headset
- POWERFUL, AMPLIFIED AUDIO - Refined ear cup acoustics and expertly tuned 50mm speakers are powerfully driven to give you accurate, immersive audio
- GEN 2 FLIP-TO-MUTE MIC - A larger, high-sensitivity, high-performance mic enhances chat clarity and seamlessly integrates into the headset when muted
- SUPERHUMAN HEARING - Turtle Beach exclusive Superhuman Hearing sound setting lets you hear subtle, game-changing sounds so you can live up to 20% longer and win more. Data from Turtle Beach Superhuman Hearing study conducted by Real Industry, May 2021
- SURROUND SOUND READY FOR XBOX - Optimized to deliver immersive surround sound with Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos and DTS Headphone: X; Dolby Atmos and DTS:X: may require additional purchases, app downloads, and supported hardware
- MIC MONITORING - Hear your own voice while you chat with friends so you’re aware of your own volume and don’t have to shout
2. Razer BlackShark V2 X Gaming Headset: 7.1 Surround Sound
- Frequency Response 12 Hz – 28 kHz.Headphones fit type:Over-Ear
- The Best-Selling Gaming Peripherals Brand: Source - The NPD Group, Inc. U.S. Retail Tracking Service: Gaming Keyboards, Gaming Mice, Gaming Headsets, Gaming Peripherals; Based on dollar sales, Jan-Sept. 2021 combined
- Immersive, 7.1 Surround Sound for Positional Audio: Outfitted with custom-tuned 50mm drivers, capable of software-enabled surround sound (only available on Windows 10 64-bit)
- Triforce Titanium 50mm High-End Sound Drivers: Outfitted with cutting-edge, 50mm drivers divided into 3 parts for individual tuning of highs, mids, and lows
- Lightweight Design with Breathable Memory Foam Ear Cushions: At just 240g, the BlackShark V2X is engineered from the ground up for maximum comfort
3. HyperX Cloud II – Gaming Headset
- 15-25kKhz Frequency Response.Headphones fit type:Over-Ear
- Designed for comfort: Exceptionally comfortable memory foam ear cushions and padded leatherette headband help keep you focused on gaming
- Supreme audio quality: Large 53 millimeter drivers provide high-quality audio. Hear in-game details better and get the in-game advantage on your opponents
- 7.1 virtual surround sound: Truly immerse yourself in your games with hardware-driven virtual 7.1 surround sound for precisely located audio
- Passive noise cancellation: The closed ear cup design blocks out outside distractions to keep you in the game
4. Razer Kraken Gaming Headset: Lightweight Aluminum Frame
- Frequency Response 12 Hz – 28 kHz.Headphones fit type:Over-Ear
- TheBest-Selling Gaming Peripherals Manufacturer in the US: Source - The NPD Group, Inc. U.S. Retail Tracking Service, Keyboards, Mice, PC Headset/Pc Microphone, Gaming Designed, based on dollar sales, 2017-2021
- Immersive, 7.1 Surround Sound for Positional Audio: Outfitted with custom-tuned 50 millimeter drivers, capable of software-enabled surround sound (only available on Windows 10 64-bit)
- All-Day Comfort: Oval, cooling gel-infused cushions that prevent overheating and pressure build-up
- Retractable Noise Isolating Microphone: An improved cardioid mic reduces background and ambient noises for crystal-clear communication
5. SteelSeries Arctis 7 – Lossless Wireless Gaming Headset
- Designed for gaming, the 2.4 grams connection delivers rock solid, lossless wireless audio with ultra-low latency and zero interference
- Widely recognized as the best mic in gaming, the discord certified clear cast microphone delivers studio quality voice clarity and background noise cancellation
- Sound is your competitive advantage with the s1 speaker drivers, engineered to produce ultra-low distortion audio so you hear every detail Effective Range: 12 m / 40 ft
- Immerse yourself in 360 degrees of precision audio with next generation DTS headphone: x v2.0 7.1 surround sound (pc only)
- 24 hour battery life gives you enough continuous play for even your longest gaming sessions; Compatible only with Pc, Mac, PS, Switch and Mobile; Headphone sensitivity: 98 dB
6. NUBWO G06 Wireless Gaming Headset
- Ultimate In-game Sounds - Wireless gaming headset for PS5, PS4 get immersed in stereo audio experience provided by 50mm driver and 2 double chamber drivers. Hear every sound all over the game.
- 2.4GHz wireless connectivity - lossless wireless connectivity via USB dongle for consoles (PS5, PS4, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5) and PCs.
- Bluetooth connectivity - Low latency Bluetooth mode for switches and mobile devices (phones, pads). Watch videos and listen to music in a flow. (With the headset on, quickly press the power button 3 times to enter Bluetooth mode)
- Wired connection - connects to PS5 controllers, PS4 controllers, Xbox Series X controllers, Xbox One controllers, Switch and mobile devices via 3.5mm cable. Xbox wired adapter for Windows may be required (not included)
- Extremely long usage time - NUBWO gaming headset can last 30-47 hours on a full charge. A low battery tone will prompt you to recharge when the battery level falls below 3%. A full charge takes only 4 hours.
7. Gaming Headset Xbox One Headset with Mic Stereo Gaming Headset
- 3D SURROUND SOUND STEREO🎧-- 50mm dual drivers of this PS4 headsetand get you immerse in your game and help significantly reduce distortion and reproduce precise, consistent, rich sound subtle quality. Whether you're immersed in God of War, COD, Apex or want to hear enemies motion in PUBG, CS:GO, NULLIPLEX professional gaming headset does well.
- NOISE IMMUNITY MICROPHONE🎧-- This gaming headset applys the soft omnidirectional microphone which can transmits high quality communication with its noise-immunity feature and pick up sounds with great sensitivity and remove the noise. 120 degree rotatable silicone tube mic and volume wheel & mute switch quick audio adjustments of this Xbox One headset make apply more convenient.
- CONSOLE COMPATIBLE🎧-- NULLIPLEX gaming headsets support PS4, PS5, latest Xbox One, PC, Laptop, PSP, Nintendo Switch, Tablet, iPad, Computer, Mobile Phone and other devices with 3.5mmaudio JACK compatible with multiple devices. Please note you need an extra Microsoft Adapter (Not Included) when connect with the old version Xbox One controller.
- COMFORT SUSPENSION HEADBAND🎧-- To offer gaming lovers a cozy wearing experience, this headphones with mic is designed with retractable headband and soft breathable ear pad with lightweight material. This over ear headphone is suitable for different age range gaming players, families and friends.
- FLEXIBLE CABLE & LED LIGHT🎧-- NULLIPLEX gaming headset has LED RGB light design which can build up a good gaming atmosphere. (The USB plug is only for gaming headphones lighting). It Adopts with high tensile strength, anti-winding nylon cord USB cable which reduce the abrasion and twining caused by moving, grantly ensure the long service life of the headset.
8. Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless Gaming Headset
- Uncompromising sound quality: A matched pair of precisely tuned 50mm high-density neodymium speaker drivers deliver immersive 7.1 surround sound with a frequency range of 20hz-40,000hz – double that of typical gaming headsets.
- Comfort is king: Premium memory foam earpads that conform to the shape of your head, along with a lightweight headband deliver pillow-soft, long-lasting comfort, enabling you to play for hours on end.
- Hyper-fast gaming-grade wireless: High-fidelity, ultra-low latency audio, with an exceptional 60ft signal range using slipstream corsair wireless technology.
- Broadcast-grade detachable microphone: an omni-directional, high-bandwidth microphone provides exceptional dynamic range and vocal clarity.
- Premium lightweight construction: Built with machined aluminum, ensuring both maximum comfort and long-term durability.
9. OneOdio Computer Headsets with Microphone -PC Headphones
- DETACHABLE BOOM MICROPHONE: Omnidirectional boom mic for gaming, business, podcasting and conference vedio. Pick up clearly, no static, talking with others on office/home. Work for Windows, MacOS, or Chrome OS and popular calling platforms
- DESIGNED FOR CALLING: A71D provides natural clear sound, conversations even in noisy environment, eliminate background noise when speaking. Equipped with convenient one key mute button and volume up/down button. Greatly for Go to Meeting/Adobe Connect/Microsoft Communicator software
- Muti-functional headphones: 40mm magnetic neodymium driver, acoustic positioning precision enhance the sensitivity of the speaker unit, making it not only for playing games, but also ideal for listening to music or watching movies by your phones/computer/Ipad
- COMFORT and PORTABLE: Soft and padded ear muffs cover on both side ensures lasting comfort even wear all day if you need to. It can fold inside and convenient to take it anywhere. You can stretches to a wide size and it will fit a various size head without being tight
- WIDELY COMPATIBLE: Connectivity is via a 2m(6.56ft) wire, works on PS4/ PS4 Pro/ Xbox One/ PC/ Mac/ Nintendo Switch/ PSP/ Laptop/phone and other devices with standard 3.5mm audio jack (Nintendo Switch doesn’t support microphone feature on gaming headset)
10. HyperX Cloud Alpha S – PC Gaming Headset
- Frequency response 13Hz – 27kHz.Headphones fit type:Over-Ear
- Custom-tuned HyperX 7.1 surround sound
- Bass adjustment sliders
- HyperX Dual chamber drivers
- Game and chat balance
How To Choose A Gaming Headset In 2022?
We know that you have entered this guide just to know which are the best gaming headset of 2022, but it seems important to us to explain our methodology and everything you need so that you can choose the best ones for your type of use. If you wonder how to choose a headset? Here we will leave you some very interesting information to do so.
1. Design of gaming helmets
As important as sound is the design and ergonomics of gaming headsets, since we all spend hours and hours playing, and we don’t want to stop just because the headphones bother us.
Not all of us have the same head or ears, so it is normal for some people to prefer some helmets over others. But in our experience there are two fundamental aspects:
- The ear pads: with different materials and shapes, they need to be comfortable and large enough so that the ears do not touch the base of the headset.
- The headband: some headbands are made of metal, others are plastic, and their designs change from brand to brand. Ideally, they should reduce the weight of the headphones and not over-tighten the head.
There are many helmets that we can take as a reference when it comes to comfort, such as the Arctis 5 of 2022 that fit perfectly on the head; the HyperX Cloud Revolver S that are extremely comfortable even after many hours of use; or the Razer Nari Ultimate that has a cooling gel that will prevent your ears from getting too hot.
2. Types of Gaming Headphones
There are some important aspects to consider before buying a gaming helmet. The first of all is to know the difference between the different types of helmets:
- Digital Headphones – With a built-in DAC (digital-to-analog converter), digital headphones offer more powerful sound and software integration.
- Analog headphones: use one or more 3.5 mm connectors to transmit audio to headphones, and are usually universally compatible with PCs, consoles, and mobile devices. Although their sound is cleaner, they are usually more limited, so it is always recommended to use a compatible sound card.
- Wireless headsets: with a transmitter connected to the PC or console, these gaming headsets tend to be heavier and require you to carry them from time to time. Battery life and audio quality vary by brand but tend to be inferior to other wired helmets that cost the same.
That said, the choice between one type of headset and another will really depend on your needs and your PC. If you don’t have a sound card in your PC, then the best thing to do is to get some digital headphones that do the digital processing themselves. This is why we usually recommend the Cloud II instead of the Alpha since we know that most do not have a sound card.
Advantages of wired gaming headphones:
- Its price is lower. Generally, when there are two versions of the same model with the same specifications, wired gaming headsets will be cheaper than the wireless model.
- Better sound quality. Although there are notable improvements in sound over wireless connectivity, it is still not up to the quality of cable transmission. While this difference may be imperceptible to the common user, there is still a gap between wired and wireless headsets.
- Lower latency. Even though there are currently very low latency wireless headsets, wired headphones are still superior at this point.
Advantages of wireless gaming headsets:
- Greater freedom of movement. By eliminating the cables that tie you to the device, wireless headphones give you true freedom, no matter how long the cable is.
- Greater order. Surely this is not a point that most users are very interested in, but by dispensing with cables with wireless headphones, the order in your room will be much greater.
- Connection to multiple devices. Currently, there are wireless headsets that allow you to connect to more than one device, so you can play video games online and talk on the phone or on Discord, or listen to music at the same time.
What is the difference between wireless headphones and Bluetooth?
All Bluetooth headphones are wireless, but on the contrary, we cannot say the same. There are gaming helmets that, being wireless, use other technologies to connect, such as Wi-Fi, radiofrequency, or a transmitter connected to the device such as a game console, TV, etc.
As for wireless gaming headsets, the only thing you should consider is that there are beginning to be many with Bluetooth connectivity, such as the Arctis 3 Bluetooth, which considerably increases the number of devices with which you can use them. The other types of headphones that connect with a tongle are usually a bit more limited in that regard.
3. Sound quality
In this section, we see how companies try to sell 7.1 surround sound as if it were a “Holy Grail”, when in fact it is not. It is preferable to buy headphones with good speakers and excellent sound, then ones with 7.1 surround sound, but they will only give you headaches because they are not very good.
In relation to surrounding sound, you should know these two distinctions:
- Virtual Surround Audio: These headphones don’t have 7 or 5 speakers in each helmet. What they do is simulate the audio with the software so that it seems truly immersive. The cheapest headsets use Windows Sonic, while others start using DTS Headphone: X v2.0.
- “True” surround audio: in these, we do have many small speakers inside the helmet, which allows recreating the surround sound in a more natural and with quality. The problem is that they tend to be more expensive and heavier.
Our recommendation is that you do not choose one helmet over the other just because it has 7.1 surround sound, as that does not mean better sound quality. Instead, look at some reviews of that team and compare the different comments in this regard.
4. Microphone quality
Another aspect not to forget is the microphone, very important today. Most helmets have good microphones and excellent noise cancellation. The quality of the sound will depend a lot from brand to brand, so the choice is a bit complex. What we recommend is that you listen to some tests on YouTube to see if you like how they sound.
Some helmets do not have a microphone either, especially the more expensive ones, and are not exclusively geared towards gaming. In these cases you will have a spectacular sound, but that you must accompany with an external microphone.
What should you look for in a microphone?
- Keep it simple to activate and mute. Sometimes it will be necessary to deactivate the microphone in a game, so you must look at the system that has the microphone. Some have an accessible button on the earpiece, while others are disabled simply by lowering the microphone boom.
- Micro sensitivity. This refers to how hard you have to speak for the microphone to pick up the sound of your voice clearly. Although a more sensitive mic may seem better, if you don’t have external noise cancellation, you can end up picking up all the noise around you. The important thing is that your voice is heard loud, clear, and without interference.
- Fixed, removable or foldable design. Many times the microphone may not be necessary, for example, if you just want to listen to music, or if you play solo games. In these cases, a headset with a removable microphone can be of great help, since you can remove it. They are also useful when it comes to transporting them, although a headset with a folding microphone can also work well in this case.
5. Firmware and customization
It is also worth referring to the programs of each pair of helmets. Take for example the CUE from Corsair, Synapse from Razer, and many others that allow you to change some parameters of the sound and lighting of the helmets. These programs are usually barely PC compatible, but Turtle Beach, for example, also creates exclusive profiles for certain video games on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox.
I hope you liked this guide on the best Wirecutter gaming helmets of 2022 and remember, if you have any questions or don’t know which one to buy, you can always leave us a comment.