That onion rings are some great appetizers is certainly not in doubt. Indeed, these recipes are rich in flavor and contain great aroma at the same time. It is only fair that you get to know how to make frozen onion rings.
We are here to help you get sorted out. Read through these conversations to know how to make your own onion rings in an air fryer.
How To Cook Frozen Onion Rings In Air Fryer
For all practical purposes, we are going to assume that you intend to prepare onion rings for four servings.
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of divided salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large frozen yellow sweet onion
- Oil spray
Cook Your Crispy Onion Rings
Prepare the onion
This is the first and by far the most significant step in the whole exercise. At this stage, you prepare the onion which you intend to use to prepare the rings. Even before commencing the preparation exercise, you must thaw the frozen onion. It is unlikely that you shall achieve satisfactory outcomes without doing so.
Proceed to slice the large yellow sweet onion into rings that measure ½ inches each. Use a sharp knife and a chopping board to do that. Thereafter, empty those rings in some deep plates and shallow bowls.
Combine some lemon juice, vinegar, milk, or buttermilk and eggs with the onions in the deep plates. To the ones in the shallow bowl, add some paprika, flour and a ½ tablespoon of salt. Follow this by adding a ¼ cup of the flour mixture to the ingredients.
Mix some panko breadcrumbs, a ½ tablespoon of salt and olive oil in a third separate bowl. Use a fork to stir the mixture until the oil is uniformly distributed.
Mix the ingredients
After preparing the onions, you now have to mix the ingredients. To do so, dredge the onion rings in the flour mixture. Thereafter, drop those onion rings in the buttermilk mixture. Conclude this by dredging them in the panko mixture.
Add some spices
Though not a must, you may also wish to add other spices as well. If you choose to go in that direction, this is the time to do so. You may use the paprika, chili, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Exercise some moderation while so doing as many people are allergic to such spices.
Pre-heat the air fryer
Having made your onion rings to desired quality levels, it is now time to prepare your air fryer. Pre-heat it to make it ready for the subsequent role of preparing your onion rings.
This procedure is largely optional as most modern air fryers do not require any pre-heating. Consult your manufacturer’s manual to ascertain whether this might be necessary with your air fryer or not.
Place the onion rings in the air fryer
Now go ahead to place the Frozen onion rings in airfryer. To do so, place those rings in a single layer. You may also place the smaller rings inside their bigger counterparts. Only make sure that they do not touch each other or overlap. You want the heat to penetrate smoothly and unhindered when engaged.
Cook the onion rings
Cook the onion rings. Switch on your air fryer and set the various cooking parameters. For best results, you have to choose the 400°F. The entire cooking time is largely dependent on the model of the air fryer.
In most instances though, you will have to spend 12-15 minutes for that golden brown color. You should spray the onion rings with some oil spray halfway through (after 6 minutes). Keep an eye on the onion rings as you cook to prevent desiccation.
PS: You do not need to turn the onion rings during the cooking process. The air fryer is indeed capable of impacting both sides equally and evenly.
For fresh onions, follow the procedures above. The only difference is that you will not have to thaw the onion at all.
Frequently Asked Questions (Faqs)
How long does the entire cooking process take?
- – As we have stated earlier, the cooking time depends largely on the model or appliance in use. However, most models will do a good job after 12-15 minutes. Remember, the onion must exude some golden brown color as a sign of thorough cooking.
Which are the best onions for preparing onion rings?
- -Any sweet onion will do. Some of the best species are Walla Walla, Maui, Texas, and Vidalia. That is because they are sweeter and flatter compared to the other onions. They are also devoid of the sharp pungent tastes of the ordinary onions.
How thick should the onion slices be?
- -For best results, your onions have to be ½ inches thick. Any thinner and they shall burn easily; any thicker and they might not cook well. To obtain the desired thickness, use a sharp knife, be slow and meticulous, and most importantly, place the onions on a chopping board.
How do you keep onion rings from getting soggy?
- -Do not use too much oil. Place only some moderate amount of oil for your frying exercise. After you are through with the cooking, do not remove the onions from the basket immediately. Instead, leave them there for some time to let the heat of the air fryer to conclude the drying process.
Can onion rings be reheated?
- -YES, they may be! However, do not use any oil in the process as this might make them soggy. Also, limit the reheating time to no more than 5 minutes. Any duration longer than this might burn them beyond what may be considered healthy.
WOW! Our step-by-step guide above has undoubtedly been of help to you, hasn’t it? Indeed, by adhering to the procedures we have stipulated, you will obtain the best outcomes possible. If you happen to get stuck along the way, feel free to let us know. We shall offer you appropriate support, till you obtain your desired ends.