One of the purposes of a dishwasher is to clean your dishes for you. It is still necessary to add detergent before you start the dishwasher. Not every dishwasher detergent works equally well. A powerful and reliable product, with a five-star rating, that leaves a shiny finish in its wake, should remove food residues, degrease, and degrease effectively. However, this is not the only consideration you should take into account.
Detergents for dishwashers come in a variety of forms, including gels, liquids, powders, and packs. Your decision is mainly determined by personal preference when it comes to choosing a detergent type. However, make sure you read the package carefully to know how much you’ll have to pay for each load of post-dinner or snack dishes. It is convenient to purchase detergent packs, but liquids and powders are usually more economical. In addition, you need to ensure that your hands are dry before picking them up. (Though you’ll likely pick it up pretty fast.)
Aside from that, there are various fragrances and unscented options for you to choose from, as well as eco-friendly formulas, rinse aids, and hard water solutions. Don’t know where to start? There is a multitude of automatic dishwashing products available on the Internet, but we have scoured the web to bring you the best ones. Your plates, cups, bowls, mugs, and more will always look sparkling and fresh.
Check out these top dishwasher detergents.
Top 10 Wirecutter Dishwasher Detergent Reviews
1. Solimo Amazon Brand Dishwasher Detergent
- Leaves your dishes sparkling clean, and gives them a great fresh scent
- No pre-rinse is required when using Solimo dishwasher detergent pacs, which makes cleaning easy
- Solimo dishwasher detergent pacs remove stuck-on food, and are tough on grease, stains, and residue
- Includes 85 dishwasher detergent pacs, enough for 85 loads
- Safe for septic systems, contains no phosphates
2. Finish All In 1, Dishwasher Detergent
- Each individually wrapped Finish Powerball tab provides a premeasured dose of detergent, eliminating guesswork and dissolves completely
- Rinse agent action helps rinse away residues, eliminating spots and film for a sparkling shine
- Finish is the worldwide leader in dishwashing and is the recommended brand worldwide by more dishwashing brands than any other brand
- Help soften the toughest food residues like baked-on lasagna and dried-on oatmeal for easy removal
- Powerful cleaners remove even the toughest stains. No need to pre-soak or pre-rinse with Powerball cuts through grease & scrubs away burnt & dried-on food
3. Finish Dishwasher Detergent Gel Liquid
4. Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent
- USDA certified bio based product 78%
- Caring today for the next seven generations
- Enzyme rich formula cuts through tough grease and food residue to leave dishes sparkling clean
- Convenient single dose dishwasher pods, just toss right into the dishwasher
- Dishwasher packs come in an easy to use resealable pouch
5. Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent Packs
- Free of fragrances, dyes, phosphates, and chlorine bleach
- Enzyme rich formula cuts through tough grease and food residue to leave dishes sparkling clean
- USDA Certified Bio-based product 78 percent
- Convenient single dose dishwasher packs, just toss right into the dishwasher
- Tub packaging designed for compact, easy storage and freshness
6. Cascade Free & Clear Gel Dishwasher Detergent Liquid Gel
- Pure cleaning for your family
- No premeasuring needed: Cascade ActionPacs are convenient and easy to use. No finicky wrapping.
- Pure Essentials is Cascade's only dye-free liquid top
- No phosphates & no chlorine bleach. Perfume infused with essential oils.
- Formulated with biobased* and other thoughtfully selected ingredients.(*1/3 biobased ingredients)
7. Puracy Dishwasher Pods- Effective 50
- Pure Love Guarantee ] At Puracy, we're passionate about creating hypoallergenic, cruelty-free products that are tested by physicians and PhD chemists. Your happiness matters to us. If you aren't satisfied with any of our products, let us know: We'll refund 100% of your purchase, no questions asked.
- Designed to work better when you skip the pre-rinse ] Wash your dishes effortlessly with Puracy Free & Clear biodegradable dishwasher tabs. With advanced, plant-derived enzymes, a single dishwasher pod quickly removes grime and dried-on gunk – without soaking or pre-rinsing. Simply scrape dishes, stack them in the dishwasher, and let this 99.5% natural dishwasher soap do all the work.
- Perfect for All Dishwasher Safe Items ] Made from plant and mineral-derived ingredients, Puracy dishwashing pods are a grease-cutting, spot-free, automatic detergent. With gentle (yet effective) cleaning power, these dish tabs easily remove tough food stains. Designed for all types of dishwasher-safe items, these dishwasher tabs provide incredible results with pots, pans, baby bottles, cups, and more.
- Developed by biochemists, tested by households nationwide ] These third-generation dishwasher tablets are tried, tested & trusted. These dish washer clean pods are at the top of their game, passing countless real-world tests with diverse water types, dishwasher models, and realistic usage. After countless revisions and alterations, we believe we've created the perfect detergent to get your dishes squeaky clean!
- Made with 99.5% Natural Ingredients ] Looking for a plant-based, cruelty-free, and biodegradable dishwasher detergent? These dish washer pods are erfect for those who want to steer clear of aggresive chemicals. These powerful pods actually dissolve food stains, leaving zero residue behind. Keep your dishes clean with this incredible, plant-powered dishwasher soap.
8. Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent Gel
- Safe* and effective formula made with plant-based ingredients
- USDA Certified Biobased Product 65%
- Advanced dishwasher gel cuts through grease leaving dishes streak-free and sparkling clean
- Lemon scent derived from 100% essential oils and botanical extract
- Free of synthetic fragrances, chlorine, phosphate, and dyes
9. Cascade Advanced Power Liquid Machine Dishwasher Detergent
- Cascade Advanced Power liquid machine dishwasher detergent with Dawn, 125-fl. oz, plastic bottle (125 fl. oz.) -2 pack
10. Palmolive PowerPacs Dishwasher Detergent Pods
- Leaves glassware sparkling and spotless; etch protection in each dish detergent pod that keeps glass from eroding and protects glass from scratches
- Dishwashing that's tough on grease, gentle on planet
- Dishwasher pods that tackle 48 hour stuck on food and power through baked on messes
- Packaging made with 25% post-consumer recycled material
- Convenient pod format
Dishwasher Detergent Buying Guide
Choosing a dishwasher detergent depends on the form in which it comes or the “type” of detergent you want to use. Among the options are gels, liquids, powders, and packs. The dirt-fighting formula is pre-portioned in packs, which is convenient for users who have hard water. (Although, rinse aids and hard water solutions are also available.) Liquids and powders usually cost less than other options. When adding items to your cart, make sure to consider your dishwashing routine and your budget.
Depending on the size of your order, you may receive a variety of packs, tabs, or ounces of liquid or powder detergent. For each load of dirty dishes you run, you should be able to purchase a greater quantity for a lower price. However, you may choose to use a smaller amount if you are trying out the detergent for the first time.
There are usually 20 to 200 detergent packs in each case. Bottles of liquid, gel, or powder detergent are available in sizes ranging from 8 ounces to 75 ounces, with an average of 45 ounces.
Choosing your detergent should take scent into consideration, as well as strength. Especially if they linger on your dishes or in your space, scents can make or break your experience. There are several common scents that are found on shelves, including lemon, clean, and citrus. Unscented products are also available. The dishwashing liquids are especially useful if you’re sensitive to fragrances or don’t want to worry about the smell lingering after washing.
How To Get The Most Out Of Your Dishwasher Detergent
Cleaning dishes, flatware, and stemware with the best dishwasher detergent is essential. Getting the ultimate clean requires more than just a simple cleaning.
Getting your dishes out of the dishwasher spotless is as easy as loading it the right way. There are some guidelines to follow when packing this appliance full, even though everyone has their own favorite method.
Also, make sure the dishwasher itself is clean. Clean the filter and the interior of the dishwasher. Dishwasher cleaning tablets make cleaning the inside of your dishwasher easy. Dishwasher cleaning tablets make cleaning your dishwasher easy.
In Between Dishwashing Detergent And Dishwashing Liquid, What’s The Difference?
Generally speaking, dishwashing liquid is a form of dishwashing detergent. There are, however, some dishwashing liquids that are designed to be used by hand whereas others are designed for dishwashers. If you’re buying a liquid, gel, or powder detergent, make sure it’s intended for a dishwasher by checking both the label and product description.
Dishwasher Detergent Can Be Used To Hand-Wash Dishes?
It is generally not recommended to use dishwasher detergent when hand-washing dishes. It is often highly alkaline and concentrated, which irritates the skin. The same goes for liquid dish soap in dishwashers. Your kitchen floor will likely end up flooded with water and foam because it won’t work as well as proper detergent. When you run out of dishwasher detergent, you can use other DIY alternatives.
How Do Cloudy Glasses Form?
Glassware can become cloudy for several reasons. The most common cause of dullness and discoloration is hard water, because of its high mineral content. There are also some dishwasher detergents that leave behind a filmy residue, as well as instances in which you may be using too much detergent. Then you’ll want to use less since cloudy glasses are caused more by the amount of detergent used than by the formula itself.
After hours of research into the best dishwasher detergent, we decided that wirecutter dishwasher detergent was our favorite. We spent a lot of time comparing prices and features to find the perfect product for us. Wirecutter has great reviews online too.