As runners, best socks can easily be overlooked as one of the most important pieces of sports equipment. However, choosing the right socks can make a big difference in our daily runs because they offer comfort, support, and protection. Our feet are the protagonists when running and they deserve to be cared for. A pair of socks will allow you to have a better fit with your running shoes
So if you have a few broken pairs that fall off and you can see your fingers through them, it’s time to throw them in the trash can. Your feet don’t deserve that.
Top 10 Best Socks Wirecutter Of 2022
1. Cooplus Mens Ankle Socks
- FEATURES: Mesh Zones for Breathability + Max Cushioning + Reinforced heel and toe + Heel Tab + Arch Support + High Stretch + Moisture Wicking + All Seasons.
- FULL CUSHION SOLE: The bottoms of cushion provides additional comfort and absorbs impacts on the feet during running and walking activities.
- ANTI-SLIP & ARCH SUPPORT: Rib cuffs for a snug, comfortable fit. keep sock from fall during wear without being tight and causing discomfort. Arch support to improve foot arch fatigue and keep sock in place.
- ANKLE & LOW CUT HEIGHT: The low cut ankle socks are good matching for all of your favorite athletic shoes, running shoes, casual shoes, sports shoes, workout shoes and hiking shoes.
- WASHING NOTE: Machine wash and hand wash, Suggest Cold Wash, no pilling, no fade, no smell. tumble or air dry.
2. Saucony Women’s Performance Heel Tab Athletic Socks
3. Saucony Men’s Multi-pack Bolt Performance Comfort Fit No-Show Socks
- Run Dry Moisture Management Provides Superior Moisture Transport with our Ultra Wicking Fibers. So, Whether you're in the Gym or on the Road, your Feet Stay Fresh
- Air mesh venting. Mesh ventilation construction creates maximum airflow to keep your feet cool and dry in any running conditions
- Targeted Arch Compression Engineered with Just the Right Amount of Compression to Keep your Arch Stabile and Secure. Our Arch Support System also Prevents Bunching and Helps Keep Your Sock From Slipping
- Cushioned sole. Light cushioning provides impact protection without taking up too much space inside your shoes
- Ankle Support for greater comfort
4. Under Armour Adult Performance Tech No Show Socks
- Shoe Size: Men 9-12.5, Women 11-13
- Medium cushioning throughout foot for all-day comfort and protection
- Mesh panels for added breathability
- Embedded arch support helps reduce foot fatigue
- Fitted heel contours around your foot for a better fit
5. Under Armour Men’s Essential Lite No Show Socks
- Shoe Size: Men 8-12, Women 9-12
- Ultra-thin, lightweight construction for a barely there feel
- Embedded arch support reduces foot fatigue
- Fitted heel contours around foot for a better fit
- Breathable material wicks sweat and dries fast
6. Amazon Essentials Men’s 6-Pack
- Stock up on must-have basics with this pack of breathable ankle-length athletic socks featuring a zone cushion in the heel and toe for comfort where you need it most
- Zone Cushioning on the ball and heel of the foot for protection and comfort in high impact areas
- Zone mesh designed for ventilation and breathability to manage moisture and provide comfort
- Arch Compression for support and stability to reduce foot fatigue - helps keeps sock in place
- Reinforced heel and toe for long lasting durability
7. Century Star Womens Athletic Socks
- Cashmere Socks: Our winter wool socks are made of Polyester + spandex + wool, Super soft, breathable, Warm. 4 pack Women’s Athletic Wool Sock is a standard US SIZE that fit shoe sizes from US 5 - 9.They are elastic and perfectly make it suitable for your feet.
- Winter Wool Socks: Our Athletic Socks are suit for many occasions, such as daily life and outdoors, office, school, hiking, sport, home, fall, winter. Good matching for all your sneakers, boots, snow boots, and sport shoes.Easy-matching colors, coordinate with whatever you're wearing.
- Sports Socks: More softness and comfort with thickened towel bottom design, which can reduce foot friction when hiking, walking, or during any outdoor activities, It protects the foot from shear and prevents painful blisters.
- Warm Soft Socks: Brighten up those cold winter mornings with these snuggly cozy socks to keep your toes warm. Elegant, classic wool socks, unique designs. Warm soft wool socks for Cold Winter, cozy knit printed socks for women girls.
- Gift Choice: This winter wool cotton socks make the perfect present for hikers, outdoor walkers, family members. You could also choose it for your Boyfriend, daughter, friends as birthdays gift, white elephant gift, Christmas stocking stuffer, Christmas gift.
8. Moisture Control Crew Sock
- Soft cotton blend arch support mesh ventilation
- Half cushion moisture wicking
9. Aserlin Men’s Athletic Ankle Socks
- 【High-Quality Material】: 85% Cotton+10% Polyester+5% Spandex
- 【Perfect Fit Size】: Shoe size 6-12 (Sock Size 10-13). Made of high quality materials, they are super elastic and one size fit most men.
- 【Comfort and Breathability】: The Ultra Premium Cotton and Reinforced Arch Support area combined with the Vented Upper Area reduces foot fatigue and keep your feet dry fresh and odor free all day.
- 【Cushioned Athletic Socks】: Cushion all of the sole and reinforced toe and heel use thicker yarns for extra durability and comfort in high-wear areas. Extra thick padding can absorb impact and reduce friction.
- 【Special Features】: The medium cut athletic socks have a well-engineered Y heel gore fit that ensures that the Achilles and heel area are comfortable at all times. They prevent blisters and chafing while improving overall comfort.Socks don't fall down, more comfortable.
10. Corlap Women’s Crew Socks
- HIGH QUALITY CREW SOCKS: casual women's socks are made of the highest quality cotton material and are therefore very soft and breathable. The cotton socks will absorb moisture and keep your feet warm and dry
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN:we made a thicker design at the toe and heel position an elastic mouth design to make it difficult Fall off, so they can fit perfectly anyone who wears shoes of US size 5-11.
- EXQUISITE GIFT BOX DESIGN:Evrybody needs more ocks.Corlap cotton ankle socks are packaged in a beautiful gift box,ould choose for your girlfriend, dauther, wife, as birthdays, Christmas gift. or as women socks gift.
- Socks are suitable for different situation, you can wear them as office, school, hiking, outdoor, sport, home, work, christmas socks in Spring, fall, winter season or in any cold weather areas!
- If you have any comments when you receive the product, you can give us feedback. I hope you have a happy shopping!
Running Socks Highlights – Buying Guide
There are socks made specifically for runners and the reasons for their existence are many. Due to the high impact that a runner’s feet are subjected to, the need to create socks that adapt to the needs of their feet was distinguished, which can range from better support, up to a compression system for better blood circulation and oxygen supply to this area of the body.
The difference that these sports socks have with typical socks is that they are created to keep the feet dry and comfortable for long periods.
When running or doing any physical exercise, it is important to provide your feet with the best footwear and socks, which include the golden rules of comfort, freshness, and functionality.
Ideal materials for socks
The feet have approximately 250,000 sweat glands, that is, they are high producers of sweat, which is why running socks must be manufactured with competent, lightweight materials with the best absorbent properties.
The material with which they are designed is specialized to quickly remove moisture and prevent rubbing on the feet and causing blisters. The idea of this equipment is to provide your feet with a cool and dry environment.
Synthetic materials such as acrylic, Coolmax, and polyester are ideal for this task. So when buying, look for them in the composition of the pair of your new socks. Other features that you can look for are a system of mesh and anti-odor fabrics, which allow to increase ventilation and thus obtain greater freshness.
You can also choose to:
- Anti-blister socks with double layer system.
- Thicker socks.
The cotton should not be in the fabric of your socks
Cotton is porous and absorbent, so when your feet get wet, either from sweat or from stepping on a puddle, they will stay moistened and the water will not evaporate. Another important point is that wet socks are the cultures for bacteria, fungi, and blisters.
It is necessary to have sports socks that fit your feet. An oversized or too small pair of socks can bunch up and twist, allowing proper cushioning to be lost. They should not leave marks or produce any type of irritation on the calves or ankles.
Running socks must fit snugly, especially under the arch of the foot and in the heel area. They must not slide for any reason. If you want to make sure that the size is correct, make sure that the heel part of the socks properly rests on the heel without extending.
Finally, remember not to wear them so tight to the skin that it prevents the movement of the toes.
There are four general lengths. Your choice will depend on the weather, the intensity of the training, and personal preferences.
- High Length – Knee length, these are usually compression socks that fit just below the knee to cover the entire calf.
- Medium length: up to the calf.
- Short sock: above the shoe line.
- Anklets: the smallest, are just above the ankle, as the name implies.
Socks fabric thickness
Trail running socks have different levels of padding. Different materials and styles of athletic socks will provide various levels of cushioning.
Thick or thin
The thick socks have additional padding at the heel and toes, which provides a high level of comfort under the sole of the foot. This means more cushioning and protection against blisters.
On the other hand, the use of these thicker socks is more appropriate for the colder seasons.
On the other hand, when we refer to thin socks they are much less weight than the previous ones and allow to develop a better sensation on the routes. They have a disadvantage that can cause great friction when running, especially if you are a person prone to blisters. Thin socks are ordinarily used for warmer seasons.
What is the perfect alternative?
It does not matter if your tastes are towards the side of the scale where the thickest socks are found or towards the side of the thinnest ones, the essential thing when making a decision is that you are clear about the needs that they must cover as a runner.
One tip, try to choose socks that have at least one degree of cushioning at all contact points around the feet. The appropriate socks must offer a minimum degree of cushioning in the impact zones since these are the areas of the feet that suffer the most.
Take a test with your shoes
You must always keep in mind that the thickness of the sports socks affects the fit of the shoes. What is requested is that you go up at least half the size of your footwear to accommodate the extra cushioning.
So when you go shopping for new running socks do a quick test to see if they have a good fit.
According to the new trends, compression socks can improve recovery and greatly increase performance. This is something that remains to be verified, but if you want to give it a try and see for yourself if there are improvements in your routes. They are highly recommended for long races so if you are a fan of running many kilometers, rejoice, you have a new option.
Compression socks are created with gradual compression, which improves blood circulation to the muscles. This is said to help reduce muscle fatigue and speed recovery after running and also after the training. It can all help you run further for longer and with much less fatigue and pain.
It is also believed that they can greatly reduce the chances of injury and prevent pain and inflammation of the muscles.
You must ensure that they fit very well. Compression socks should not be excessively tight, as their main purpose is to contribute to blood circulation to the muscles rather than blocking it.
To choose the correct shape of socks, take a tape measure, measure the circumference at the widest part of the ankle, and then measure the widest part of the calves. Afterward, sit in a chair with your knees bent at a 90 ° angle and measure the length of the calf by measuring the distance from one finger below the knee bend to the ground.
Finally, check your measurements with the size guide that comes with the sports socks packaging and the recommendations on the socks’ web pages.
Different characteristics of socks
The running socks have different characteristics, designed to optimize a specific enough style for running. Everything adjusts to give your feet a blister-free life and maintain them properly for as long as needed. Knowing the different characteristics can give you better tools and help you decide which are the best options when choosing socks that really fit your priorities.
- Cushioning : Running socks provide different thicknesses of padding located in the toe and heel for added cushioning and protection at the bottom of your feet against blisters, depending on your running needs.
- Mesh Ventilation : Ventilation zones are built into many running socks as this allows the sock to breathe where needed to provide freshness while protecting in high wear areas.
- Arch Support : Most running socks have compression bands, which add support and optimize the fit. Some of these socks can even help prevent plantar fasciitis.
- Seamless Toes : Created to prevent uncomfortable rubbing of the fingertips, most certain running socks have seamless designs.
- Separate toes : For those who are prone to blisters between the toes, there are different socks that have individual pockets for each of the toes. This serves to avoid skin friction between them and absorbs much better sweat from those areas.
- Two layers : Different socks have been made with two layers of material. This serves to prevent blisters by allowing friction from movement between layers rather than between the runner’s skin and the sock.
- Compression : Currently a wide variety of running socks have a certain level of compression. In addition to providing a snug fit that prevents the socks from slipping, it increases compression which can also help blood flow through your veins.
- Anatomical feet : Some trail running socks are specifically designed, that is, they match perfectly for the left foot and the right foot. This provides a more personalized fit that offers quality support to each individual foot.
Don’t ignore your personal running needs
If the cushiony feel is your favorite, feel free to wear thicker socks. On the other hand, if you notice that your feet are too congested in your shoes, go for lighter and thinner models.
Also, if you prefer your socks to be knee-length, wear crew-cut socks. For those who have problems in the back area of the feet due to friction with the shoes, go in the direction of ones that have a tab on the back. The main idea is that you get to choose some socks that work and really cover all your personal needs for running.
Just like when choosing running shoes, the choice of your running socks should take into account your style and personal preference.
Frequently Asking Questions
Do running socks make a difference?
The truth is that running socks do make a real difference. These socks provide the feet with extra grip and allow for better foot stability inside your shoes. They slow down movement which consequently reduces friction, which means goodbye to annoying and painful blisters.
Do you need special socks for running?
Running socks are designed to prevent the appearance and reduce the number of blisters, absorb moisture generated by sweat and, most importantly, give your feet more comfortable. It is true that running socks cost more than generic sports socks, but the advantage they offer in durability over time (they tend to last much longer thanks to the material they are made from) is much greater.
Is it okay to wear compression socks while running?
When running you can choose compression socks. These are safe options and do not offer dangers to your legs and feet. It should be noted that the compression levels in these socks reserved for the performance of sports activities are respectively low.
Should running socks be thick or thin?
Medium thickness socks are the best decision when it comes to thickness since they provide a combination of various factors such as: cushioning, moisture absorption, and comfort.
Why do runners wear long socks?
As for the runners who choose to wear long socks, it is because they are looking for a certain level of compression since they appreciate the reduction of inflammation and exhaustion at the level of the legs in very long races. They say they have fewer cramps and faster recovery.
Trekking socks come in numerous models, sizes, and colors. It is up to you to choose the most appropriate option for your walking style, climate, time of year and footwear.
In general, if your adventure will be in icy environments or in the winter season, opt for those made of merino wool. However, for other types of routes and times of the year, I suggest that you choose a sock with a mixture of nylon, polyester and wool. It will be the best alternative, giving you the warmth, comfort and protection that your feet need.