Here, we’ll give you all the information you need to pick the best pencil sharpener. This helpful purchasing guide is aimed at helping you avoid breaking the tip of your pencil every three seconds because of a poor pencil sharpener.
As sure as the day is long, you must have seen countless pencil sharpeners in your life, but in reality, there are many details that you should take into consideration if you want to make an investment that works and lasts.
Read this article carefully and take notes if necessary. Our goal is to help you make the best decision, so read this article from beginning to end. We want you to get all the tools you need and you to be entirely satisfied with your pencil sharpener.
Top 10 Best Pencil Sharpener Wirecutter Reviews:
1. AFMAT Electric Pencil Sharpener
- 【Electric Pencil Sharpener with Cord】 This AFMAT electric pencil sharpener comes with a 120V US wall plug, which is easy to use. If there is anything that you are not satisfied with, feel free to contact us through Amazon.
- 【Colored Pencil Sharpener】 This professional pencil sharpener will start sharpening automatically when you insert a pencil. Take out the pencil when the motor sound changes and the resistance of sharpening decreases. Great for graphite and colored pencils, such as Prismacolor Premiers, Derwent, Verithins, Faber-castell, Koh-I-Noor Progresso. Please note that it is not recommended to sharpen SOFT CORE pencils as it may cause jams in blade.
- 【UL Listed Electric Pencil Sharpener】Our classroom pencil sharpener is UL listed and has no issues after sharpening 200 pencils at a time. It is faster, more durable and powerful than any other helical blade sharpeners due to its bigger and stronger helical blade and motor. Perfect gift for kids, teachers, students, engineers, children, artists, and anyone who needs a heavy duty pencil sharpener!
- 【Upgraded Motor-10000 Sharpening Times】This heavy duty electric pencil sharpener is a must for teachers or anyone who has a heavy use on pencil sharpeners. With upgraded stronger motor, this electric pencil sharpener can sharpen over 10000 times in only 3-5 seconds with ease. You will get a sharp and beautiful pencil point each time. Please don't push the pencil too hard when sharpening, or it will make "hum" noise and not sharpen pencils.
- 【Commercial Pencil Sharpener】 High efficiency, fast speed and heavy use make it an industrial and commercial pencil sharpener. It has two safety features: stop working when the shavings box is removed or not closed tightly and stop sharpening when it is overheating. Non-skid food pads at the bottom make it more stable to sharpen.
2. Bostitch Personal Electric Pencil Sharpener
- 7-year limited warranty
- High capacity easy clean shavings tray.HEIGHT: 4.25 inches
- Space-saver compact design
- Powerful motor for stall-free operation (under normal use)
- HHC cutter technology for longer life
3. POWERME Electric Pencil Sharpener
- Designed for Perfection! – Our unique rotating spiral drill design ensures the perfect point every time; never get an uneven tip. With the auto-jam release system, you never get stuck pencils. Simply push down on the pencil and it will be released. This professional pencil sharpener is ideal for No. 2 and colored pencils (drawing, coloring).
- 100% Money Back Guarantee - We truly want you to be happy with your electric pencil sharpener and our professional customer service will do whatever it takes to ensure your satisfaction. If you are not fully happy with the PowerMe pencil sharpener, we are offering a 6-month guarantee, no questions asked.
- The Perfect Choice! - Whether you are an artist, teacher, student, or businessman, the PowerMe pencil sharpener is the best choice for you. The combination between the beautiful design and the high-quality materials make it perfect to use commercially, executively, for a classroom, desktop or office atmosphere. The table mount vertical space saving design fits comfortably on any size desk.
- Safety for Your Kids! - Our innovative, auto-stop safety feature prevents this pencil sharpener from being used if the lid is removed. That means no risk for your fingers, which makes it an ideal choice for classrooms with your young kids. The large transparent shavings reservoir rarely needs emptying and can be cleaned easily. Simply remove the shavings tray and empty it into a wastebasket.
- Guaranteed to Last - Crafted from high-quality materials, the PowerMe electric pencil sharpener gives you up to 3000 rounds of sharpening without wearing out. With the heavy duty, ultra-durable high- grade stainless steel helical blade it takes only 3 seconds to sharpen. Never replace a dull blade again! By being compact and lightweight, you can take it wherever you need to.
4. Electric Pencil Sharpener
- [Storage Box] The pencil sharpener comes with a storage box and a hanging storage box, its suit for small items on the table, such as paper clips, clips, staples, etc. can make your desk from dirty and clean
- [Automatic Features] Automatic pencil sharpener suit for No.2 Pencils (6-8mm) it will Auto-stop when the pencil is sharpened to a perfect and durable point, 3-5 seconds fast sharpening can prevent your pencil be eaten
- [DON'T HESITATE TO ORDER] If you have any problem or suggestion, please kindly contact us freely, we provide friendly, easy-to-reach support for you
- [Heavy Duty Steel Blade] 360°fast sharpener and powerful heavy duty steel blade could sharpen your pencil over 3,000 times, besides, there are 3 different sharpness options(Sharp/ Medium/ Blunt) can be choose. Perfect for teachers, students, engineers, children, artists, and anyone who loves to draw!
- [Multiple Power Sources] Powered by 4A batteries (NOT Included) or AC adapter. Flexible and convenient to use anywhere and easy to carry around.
5. X-ACTO Pencil Sharpener
- Helical steel cutter produces safe, rounded pencil points
- Heavy duty electric pencil sharpener designed specifically for classrooms
- Durable construction stands up to wear and tear
- Flyaway cutter system stops cutter automatically when pencil is sharp
- Quiet electric motor provides reliable power with minimal disruption
6. AFMAT Electric Pencil Sharpener
- 【AUTO STOP / NO OVER SHARPENING】 This electric pencil sharpener will stop sharpening automatically when the pencil is sharpened well, which really saves pencil. Th broken leads will be ejected from the blade automatically. The top open lid and large capacity shavings box make it easier to clean the shavings and never mess up your desk or floor.
- 【FAST PENCIL SHARPENER EVER】With strong motor, this AFMAT electric pencil sharpener can sharpen a new pencil in 5 seconds, and a used pencil in 3 seconds. If you are fed up with those pencil sharpeners which take forever to sharpen a pencil, add this colored pencil sharpener into cart. You can save a lot of time to do other work.
- 【COLORED PENCIL SHARPENER FOR LARGE PENCILS】If you are looking for a pencil sharpener that can sharpen your standard and large size pencils, this electric pencil sharpener will be all that you need. It can sharpen almost all 6-12mm pencils, such as No.2 pencils, colored pencils, and even hard charcoal pencils.
- 【HEAVY DUTY PENCIL SHARPENER WITH 2 PENCIL NIBS】With strong and durable helical blade, this AFMAT pencil sharpener can sharpen over 8000 times. With modern design, the helical blade can be replaced easily! This electric sharpener has 2 sharpness settings: blunt and sharp. If you are an artist, you may need a really sharp point. If you buy this sharpener for your kids, you can adjust the setting to a blunt point.
7. AFMAT Colored Pencil Sharpener
- 【Break-resistant Pencil Sharpener】The helical steel blade, refined to be beefier, more wear resistant as well as more precise, can last for 4000 sharpenings and give a more precisely-cut durable tip every single time so that it’s really a hard thing to encounter a broken lead or a jam. Though this battery pencil sharpener is palm-sized, the improved strong motor inside has plenty of power to take more force sharpening without an unwanted stall.
- 【Kids' Safety Sharpener W/ 2 Power Options】These portable electric pencil sharpeners do fine in the hands of teachers and artists, in kids’ backpack, or on the desk(with 4 non-slip pads) in classroom, office, and studio without much estate taken. 2 safety designs for kids: Sharpener won’t work if the shavings box is open; Round edges everywhere, no sharp edges, which is good in hands and safe for kids to use. 2 power options: Plug it in for desk use or put in 4xAA batteries in for portability.
- 【5s Fast Sharpen Pencil Sharpener】Give a try on this automatic pencil sharpener that sharpens well in 5 seconds only and you’ll never come back to a manual pencil sharpener, which is a fight for hand arthritis suffers, teachers, artists and anybody who wants efficiency. When well sharpened, the motor sound changes and the resistance of sharpening decreases. Only a little downward pressure on the pencil while sharpening, unlike those that require too much force and cause hand pain.
- 【Electric Sharpener For φ6-8mm Pencils】 This colored pencil sharpener works very well on φ6-8mm colored pencils as it is designed to be so, along with regular pencils like graphite, most charcoal pencils, #2 pencils too for sketching and drawing, almost every pencil in your house, workplace, classroom your students use.
- 【Artist Pencil Sharpener W/ 3 Sharpness Settings】The versatility of the 3 different sharpness settings can be broadly used, depending on what you’re coloring. The sharp option gives a very sharp clean tip for delicate fine lines; The medium option, not the sharpest nor the dullest, gives a durable tip for kids who’re hard on pencils; The blunt puts a nice dull point for easier bleeding.
8. Electric Pencil Sharpener, Heavy-Duty Helical
- [Large Capacity Shavings Box]: The larger capacity to store more shavings, just open the box and pour out the shavings, use the included cleaning brush to clean the sharpener faster and save your time
- [Auto-stop function]: Whether in use or not, the sharpener will automatically stop working when you open the lid of the shavings box, the 6-8mm jack design prevents your child's hand from being hurt when inserted, it's a safer electric sharpener for kids
- [USB/battery operated]: This pencil sharpener comes with a USB charging cable, it does not come with an adapter. The pencil sharpeners can run on 4 AA batteries (not included) or USB DC power and are compatible with a wide range of devices, making them perfect for business, administration, use in a classroom, desktop, or office environment.
- [Super Powerful Motor]: Heavy duty electric pencil sharpener with high quality and durable helical blade can sharpen pencils quickly, the enhanced motor takes only 5s to sharpen new pencils and 3s to sharpen dull pencils
- [Non-slip design]: The electric pencil sharpener has three non-slip pads on the base to prevent it from moving and shaking while working. Sharp pencils can be sharpened with just one hand. If you encounter any problem during use, please feel free to contact us through your order and we will give you a satisfactory reply!
9. Bostitch Antimicrobial QuietSharp Glow Extra Heavy Duty
- 10X LONGER CUTTER LIFE – The SharpGlow has an extra hardened helical cutter developed by Bostitch Engineers that allows for longer life without dulling.
- COLORED PENCIL COMPATIBLE – Lot of sharpeners make this claim but only we can back it up. Colored pencils have a bit of wax in them that can get caught up in the blade of any sharpener. But since this electric pencil sharpener has a blade that you can access, simply remove the blade and wipe clean. It’s that easy.
- QUIET MECHANISM – We don’t call it the QuietPro 6 for nothing. Developed to keep you running an efficient and focused classroom, even when there is a long line at the sharpener.
- SHARP GLOW ILLUMINATION – The ring around the sharpener’s face lights up once the pencil is sharpened to a point. This allows the student as well as the teacher (who may not be closeby) to know that the pencil is ready for use!
- TAMPER-PROOF SAFETY SWITCH – This shuts down the motor when large shavings bin is removed. This is the Bostitch standard for safety in a classroom environment.
10. TRUNIUM Electric Pencil Sharpener Heavy Duty
- 【Auto Stop & Fast Sharpen 】The Electric Pencil Sharpener flyaway cutter system automatically stops cutting when the pencil is sharp, and protect the pencil lead and intelligently dispose of broken pencil leads. The electric pencil sharpener takes about 5 seconds to quickly sharpen pencils at a sharp point. Quiet and quick sharpening.Children need to pay attention to safety when using the electric pencil sharpener.
- 【Multiple Power Sources】TRUNIUM Pencil Sharpener is powered through its micro USB port using either a USB power source or AC adaptor.Electric Pencil Sharpener Compatible with any charger or device with a USB port, such as power banks, computers, laptops. Potable and Easy to use（Note: charging adapter not included）
- 【Powerful Motor & Safety】Electric Pencil Sharpener Made of high-quality materials and equipped with heavy duty helical blades, this electric pencil sharpener provides fast sharpening for 6-8mm wooden/ colored pencils and #2 pencil. 8mm diameters shaving entrance could prevent kids' fingers from entering to avoid hurting. Children and Students need to pay attention to safety when using the electric pencil sharpener.
- 【Easy to Clean】Electric Pencil Sharpener is easy to clean. To ensure your safety, please unplug the power plug when cleaning the shavings. Open the Pencil Sharpener cover of the reservoir to pour out the pencil shavings when finished, not adding too much trouble. It's the best assistant for your Study.
- 【Large Capacity Design】Study Pencil Sharpener shavings reservoir is well sealed and can hold a lot of shavings, TRUNIUM Electric Pencil Sharpener preventing the need to constantly empty it out after use. The non-slip pad at the bottom helps reduce noise during use. Perfect for Students, Teachers, Drawing, Office, School and Home. It is the best choice for your Study Stationery.
In terms of importance
- Sharpening pencils with a knife is an old tradition that was replaced by the pencil sharpener in the 19th century, where it proved more efficient. Sharpening a pencil tip takes just a few seconds while you continue drawing or writing.
- At present, pencil sharpeners come in two types: manual and electric. Neither works better than the other, but a motor makes the electric one easier. A more expensive electric one, however, may provide you with more comfort and save you time depending on your needs.
- Before making your purchasing decision, you should consider various factors, including the type of knife, the chip deposit, and the materials used in the manufacture. This will be covered in detail later in this article.
It can be difficult to make an informed purchase decision based on the specific characteristics of pencil sharpeners. Below we have outlined the most important considerations.
- Chip deposit
- Tip levels
- Hitchhiking function (electric)
- Body Materials
As the pencil sharpener sharpens the pencil, shavings are left behind, which contain wood and lead particles. Sharpening pencils is a tedious process, and if you don’t have a small deposit to discard, you could be throwing away your time and littering your workspace.
Electric and manual pencil sharpeners both include this deposit that you, especially if you sharpen often, will greatly appreciate. Even if you place a small pot on your table to collect chips, it could fall and dirty the table.
We recommend you consider purchasing a pencil sharpener with this accessory, even if some of the best products do not have this feature. Although you can skip the deposit if you are not bothered by having to approach the trash can every time you sharpen.
Sharpening a pencil with a sharp metal can be done with a sharp piece of metal, but not everyone will do it in the proper way and for a long time. Additionally, rust can be dangerous not just for your pencils but also for your health.
You should always look for a knife that is made from stainless steel, as that is the best choice. In this way, the pencil will last longer and the point will always come out sharp rather than having to struggle through a number of broken tips before getting one that works. The pencil will also last longer and it’s material will be less wasted.
Electric pencil sharpeners also have a mechanism that is important to note, which is often removable and can be sharpened when the edge wears off. It is possible to take your pencil sharpener to an expert, as there are many videos on YouTube that explain how to maintain it.
When you insert your pencil into a pencil sharpener, especially one that’s electric, you can adjust how sharp it is. Almost all of these models can be sharpened three times, which is especially useful for a draftsman since he or she may not always need a needle-like point, and sometimes only needs to shade.
By inserting the pencil into a conventional pencil sharpener at a certain angle, you can achieve similar results, with roughly four tip levels.
The sharpest tip makes the best lines and works well for highlighting details and lining very fine lines. Maintaining this line requires you to constantly sharpen it since it wears out very quickly.
In general, after being sharpened to needle level for a while, a pencil will have this point. You won’t be able to get very fine lines here, but it’s the perfect level to write on.
With the flat tip, you can fill or shade a drawing without getting much line detail, but you will get lots of texture.
Hitchhiking function (electric)
When a pencil is sharpened properly, some electric pencil sharpeners will automatically stop the motor. This can minimize chip waste and save you energy. On the other hand, it can be dangerous.
The users claim that this function arbitrarily decides when a pen tip should be sharpened and when it should be stopped, thus restricting the style of the tip. Various models have different features, so you should research the reviews of the product you are considering to make sure it has this attribute.
As well as the knife’s material, it is important to take into account the quality of the other materials that make up the whole article, but the most important factor is its construction. Examples include:
Although most pencil sharpeners are made from lightweight, breakable plastic, there are some that are made from high-quality plastic, which even improves their ergonomics.
Other pencil sharpeners are metal, making them durable and impossible to break, but they can be rather heavy. It is common for the pencil sharpener’s chip deposit to be made of plastic even if it is made out of metal.
In any field, it’s better to follow the guidance of a brand that produces quality products. The best drawing materials can be found from German brands like Faber-Castell or Staedtler, or similar ones that can be found at the same level of the market.
How To Choose Pencil Sharpeners: FAQ
There may still be questions in your mind about the pencil sharpener you need, such as whether an electric model would be better or if you can do it with a manual one. You must be satisfied with the quality and performance of the product in either case. To help you make the most informed purchase, we have provided all the information below.
Is there any benefit to using a pencil sharpener?
In pencil sharpeners, the lead of a pencil is sharpened while the wood is shaped, thereby eliminating waste. A knife used to sharpen pencils was replaced by them after they were patented in the middle of the 19th century.
Your pencil sharpener purchase should be based on the most informed decision. An accurate comparison of the characteristics of pencil sharpeners can be found in the table below that compares the advantages and disadvantages.
Pencil Sharpener – Manual or Electric – What is the Difference?
Most of all, we want to make sure that our pencil sharpeners sharpen our pencils with speed, accuracy, and without damaging the tip. Comfort when doing it is the second most important factor, and this depends largely on the ergonomics of the product or, where necessary, the effectiveness of the electric motor.
A pencil sharpener that is electric is usually more expensive than one that is manual, but depending on how frequently you use it, it may be worth the cost and not just a luxury. Pencil sharpeners, especially those that come with storage trays, are generally more portable.
Manual pencil sharpener.
Generally, they are sharpeners with metal or plastic parts that are made of pure fixed parts, also known as prisms. In order to sharpen the point of the graphite, the pencil point is inserted into the hole and turned by hand.
Electric pencil sharpener.
Having begun using them in the 1940s, they have gained in precision and capabilities since then. As with manuals, they use an electric motor or batteries to drive a more sophisticated mechanism.
Manual mechanical pencil sharpener, another alternative to consider
The electric pencil sharpener is not the only kind of pencil sharpener available on the market. There are a few differences between this model and the electric pencil sharpener, but instead of using an electric motor, this model uses a crank rather than an electric motor.
In recent years, the popularity of these models has declined since most of them require securing a wall or table with a lot of force. Some people collect old copies of these models, as well as older models, for their historical or aesthetic value.
A pencil sharpener costs how much?
Pencil sharpeners come in a wide range of prices. A basic pencil sharpener can be found in stationery stores for around 5 MXN and a sophisticated electric pencil sharpener can often be found for over 2,000 MXN.
In spite of the fact that all pencil sharpeners are similar in function, the quality of their output and the ease of their use varies greatly. Poor quality pencil sharpeners are much shorter-lived, prone to breaking points and creating anger as a result.
When choosing a knife, consider its quality and ensure that it is made of stainless steel. It will, however, lose its edge depending on its use, and it will have to be replaced or thrown away. Several pencil sharpener models (especially electric ones) come with easily replaceable spare parts.
Your electric pencil sharpener will also require maintenance or repairs at some point in its life cycle, as any motor does. To get a better sense of whether the model that interests you is likely to cause problems (or not), check out the reviews of other buyers.
What is the best place to buy pencil sharpeners?
The pencil sharpener of your choice can be found in many options. It is possible to buy a cheap one at any stationery store in the country or to go to office supply stores such as Office Depot, Lumen, Office Max, Tony Stationery, or even to go to the stationery sections of supermarkets like Soriana or Wal-Mart.
When it comes to buying something more specialized, your best option is to do so online through sites like Mercado Libre, directly through the manufacturer’s website.
We recommend Amazon, however. If you aren’t completely satisfied, you can also return them if you aren’t satisfied with them. You will find imported models there that you won’t find in stores.
Here are the best manual pencil sharpeners currently available today. Regardless of the fact that none of the pencil sharpeners we reviewed here will fail to meet your requirements, we are confident you will be able to find one that does. You might also be interested in our review of the best wall mount pencil sharpener. For those who prefer electric pencil sharpeners, we have compiled a list of the best electric pencil sharpeners for the classroom.