Circular saws have a long-standing reputation for ease of use and affordability. The best circular saw wireandcutter can perform all the tasks you’re looking for in a premium table saw. It can slice through wooden, metallic, plastic, and glass materials effortlessly, making it fit for all plumbing, milling, and DIY cutting tasks.
However, not all circular saws are the same. The market is ripe with different brands with varying features, prices, functionalities, and designs. In this review, you’re going to learn about seven variants of circular saws with the best value for money. If you’re in a hurry, you can check the conclusion part for a glimpse of our top choices.
Our Favorite Circular Saw
Top 7 Best Circular Saw Wirecutter Reviews- 2021
1. SKIL 5280-01 Circular Saw
The SKIL 5280 racks the second position on our list for its unique Single Beam laser that promises nothing short of high-precision cuts. It indicates when ready for use by producing an “ON indicator light” on the body. Then, you can use the laser-trigger button to initiate the beam. The almost infinite length laser beam will demarcate your trail, enabling you to make cuts that are error-free. Even more important, the machine features a 51-degree bevel capacity with more than three positive stops at 45 degrees. Meaning, you don’t have to worry about aligning the laser to any angle less than 45 degrees.
SKIL is equipped with a 15 Amps motor that achieves a working rate of up to 5300 RPM. In the package, you’ll find a 24-tooth carbide that cuts through a depth of up to 2-3/8inch. A spindle lock keeps the carbide in place, making it even easier to change the blades using an on-tool wrench. This also applies whenever you want to sharpen the blade’s edges if they become blunt from bulk work. Overall, the machine weighs 6.97 pounds with an ergonomic handle to reduce fatigue when working. You will also like the dust blower embedded on the body to ensure no obstacle lurks onto your path.
- Power motor: it is designed with a 15 amp motor which offers massive and fast cuts through sheets, lumber, or stack of sheets. Additionally, it uses 120 volts and has a horsepower of 2.5 HP.
- Safety: the saw features a safety lockout guarded trigger to prevent accidents from occurring. To add more, it has a visible red laser beam which allows you to make more accurate cuts. Besides, the wide footplate ensures you balance for hard materials. It also has a led power indicator when plugged in.
- Sturdy and durable carrying bag: amazingly, the saw comes with a sturdy carry bag to ensure the device is safely transported and stored. It is designed with integrated padding and zipper closure.
- Versatility: the unit is designed with a cord, making it flexible for any electrical outlet task. With the spindle lock, you can safely alternate between multiple blades for several applications.
- Additional features: its lightweight design makes you control the device efficiently hence reducing fatigue. Thanks to the 24 teeth carbide-tipped blade, which allows you to make smooth and fine cuts.
- It comes in a compact design for easy storage
- Ideal for cutting both wood and PVC
- Lightweight for portability
- It comes with a guard trigger to minimize accidental start
- The blade sticks on hard-to-cut surfaces such as dry wood with a wide depth
2. DEWALT 6-1/2-Inch 20V Max Circular Saw
DEWALT is a premium choice from a brand known worldwide to produce durable and highly functional machines. This equipment is an immediate fix when you need the best circular saw wireandcutter that combines high strength with durability. At its bottom, it has a lightweight magnesium shoe, artistically molded into place to maximize the machine’s shelf-life and precision. At the same time, the motor is rated 5150RPM to make even the cumbersome and demanding tasks look more of a joke.
DEWALT features a carbide-tipped blade that cuts 6-½ deeper on wood and plastic surfaces. It has two bevel capacities of 45 and 90 degrees, making it your ideal choice when looking for double cuts per charge. Holding the machine and attaining balance is not daunting since this saw comes in a compact design with features that minimize vibration. For added comfort, the handle is sealed with rubber and includes grooves to maximize grip. You can rest assured to achieve and maintain a precision cut without worrying about your machine slipping and causing accidents.
- Powerful motor: thanks to the 460 max watts motor, this helps you make hard cuts. As soon you let the trigger go, it stops running.
- Durable and lightweight magnesium shoe: the circular saw is designed with durable and lightweight magnesium shoe for accurate long-term cuts throughout the task. Plus, its lightweight design increases usability, and you won’t feel fatigued when operating.
- 0 to 50-degree bevel capacity: this model allows you to create anything from 50 degrees angle or 90 degrees perpendicular cuts. Thanks to this feature it will enable you to cut a variety of angles.
- Perfect for all users: whether a beginner or professional, you can use it to maximum efficiency. You can cut both small pieces and large pieces of wood without the need for many efforts.
- The high strength magnesium shoe makes it easy to use
- Uses both lithium-ion and power cord for reliability
- The machine accepts almost all popular blades available in the market
- It comes with a hard case for storage and rust-prevention
- You need a fast charger to replenish the battery when working on a bulky project.
3. BLACK+DECKER 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw with Laser
When you intend to work the whole day, a difference of one pound weight matters a bunch. Black+Decker weighs only 7 pounds, topping the list of the lightest series on our list. Even more, the bevel adjuster is uniquely positioned to make it easier to maneuver. Hobbyist artists say you’ll find it addictive for use with projects that extend more than four hours as it doesn’t require much energy to operate and keeps a good grip.
This machine leverages the power of a 13 Amp motor to drive its blade 2.5 inches deep when you cut at a 90-degree angle. You can also achieve orientations less than 45 degrees–just that, the depth will reduce as the angle becomes smaller. Black + Decker is equipped with a laser beam that provides the confidence you require to keep a precision cut to the end. And since the machine is compact and durable built, it hardly veers off, making it ideal for new users. The package also includes a manual to guide new users on the kind of pressings they need to use for quality cuts.
- Powerful motor: the saw is designed as a 13 Amp motor perfect for performing DIY projects with ease. It is ideal for multiple applications.
- 7 ¼ “saw blade: for excellent cutting depth, it comes with a 7 – ¼ “saw blade, which allows you to operate it with ease. Besides, it has an ergonomic handle making it easy to operate with one hand.
- Additional features: the machine has a laser guide to cut the wood and other materials with ease. Plus, a dust collection system to keep your working area clean.
- Safety: thanks to the spindle lock and critical system, you can assemble and disassemble the blades quickly and safely for various materials.
- It features a stable build for easy maneuverability
- The metallic base is durable for years of use
- It comes with one hex key for changing the blade
- Super easy to use with both wood and plastic surfaces
- The blade is a cheap all-purpose variant hence not long-lasting.
4. TACKLIFE Circular Saw with Metal Handle
Tacklife circular saw prides a 4.5-star rating and hundreds of reviews on Amazon, and for a good reason. Right from the design, this machine has all it takes to make cutting wood and plastics an enjoyable experience. The body consists of a metallic handle and a plastic head that are durable for years of use. Since the handle is ergonomic, it guarantees an excellent grip for apex level precision and clamping force. Even more, it has a laser guide that demarcates every single line you intend to cut beforehand.
Tacklife is an energy powerhouse that comes fully loaded with a powerful 5.8 Amp motor and six blades attached. It achieves an excellent performance of up to 3500 RPM, making it ideal for slicing almost anything. Of the six blades, two are for soft metal and wood, 2 for tiles, and 2 for PVC pipe, plasterboard, and plastics. Using the flexible bevel attached to the body, you can easily manipulate the angle of your laser cuts to either 0-45 degrees. This makes it easy to use when cutting any orientation, depending on the nature of your project. The machine also features a parallel line guide at the left side blade for precision cutting along both vertical and horizontal axes.
- Powerful motor: this product is equipped with a 5.8 Amps motor to deliver full-size cutting power. It makes it easy and fast to cut your tiles, wood, plastics, plasterboard, and PVC pipes. Additionally, the motor ensures efficient cutting performance.
- 6 extra blades: it comes with 6 extra blades to cut through objects with varying hardness and toughness. Additionally, it features different grits and is robust enough; hence it can’t break while cutting things. The blades are covered with a protective layer which prevents unnecessary obstructions when cutting clear lines.
- Metal handle and safety: it features a metal handle that is designed to withstand wear and tear. To add more, the handle has a functional shape that makes cutting more stable and firm. You can assemble and disassemble the blades without the need for any tool.
- Additional features: for efficiency, reliability, and outstanding performance, the model comes with an elbow dust port to ensure you maintain a clean working performance. Plus, it is also compatible with standard 4 ½ inch and 4 ¾ inches blades. It also has 6 practical blades, which makes it cut through varying hardness.
- Durable metallic handle for years of use
- Versatile for cutting PVCs, Wood, and Metals
- Ergonomic design offers stability for a precision cut.
- The slim grip makes for effortless and less-fatiguing cutting
- It can double your electricity bill when used frequently.
5. CRAFTSMAN 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw
CRAFTSMAN is a reputable brand with high-end choices to choose from, yet we picked only one that stands out. Well, this machine falls in the category of the most aggressive circular saws in the market. It comes with a powerful motor that achieves 5500 RPM for fast-paced cuts that save on time. Additionally, it comes equipped with an 18-teeth carbide-tipped blade that slices through metallic sheets, wooden logs, PVC pipes, glass surfaces, and plastic materials in no time. When inclined at a 45-degrees angle, the blade drives in the teeth to 71/8 inches depth. As such, you can always entrust this machine for cutting surfaces with wide depth.
The Bevel is tool-free and comes with a shoe pivot for easy angling. You can achieve after a 55-degrees angling capacity; however, this machine works best at 45 or 22.5 alignments. Its handle is covered in contoured over-molded rubbers that grip well onto the palm for slide-free cutting. At the same time, the body comes with a metallic cover for years of use.
- Powerful motor: it comes equipped with a 15Amp motor enabling it to cut through various materials. What’s more, it rotates at a speed of up to 5500 RPM making it cut through materials fast.
- Bevel capacity: with this model, you can make bevel cuts. It has a tool-free beveling shoe that allows you to get positive dents at 22.5 and 45 degrees.
- Magnesium shoe: The device also features a magnesium shoe that is durable and makes the machine lightweight. Its upper part is made of metal, while it has a lower guard.
- 7- ¼ “ blade: the product is equipped with a blade with 18 teeth and up to 21/8 inches for double materials.
- Versatile for multipurpose use
- It saves on the cutting time as it’s faster
- Metallic body and magnesium shoe adds to its longevity
- Compact and easier to balance when cutting
- Ideal for beginners
- Weighs 11.05 (3 pounds heavier than variants in the same bracket)
- It doesn’t come with a laser guide.
6. Makita 5007Mg Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw
When your work demands both fast-paced cuts, agile blades, and portability, a few circular saws will meet your needs as Makita does. This machine stands 13.9 inches higher and comes with a safety box where you can store it once you are done. But here’s the twist; in our circular saw reviews, we’ve not found any machine fast enough to beat Makita. This machine works at a rate of 5800RPM using a 15.0Amp motor. It slices through drywall, melamine, PVC pipes, tiles, peg wall, plywood, pegboard, and any other material except metallic ones.
Makita 5007 has a large bevel capacity of 0-56 degrees, making it ideal for most alignments you’ll ever need. At 90-degrees, it achieves a depth of 2 to 2.5 inches hence perfect for deeper grooves. The blade makes two positive stops at 45 and 22.5 degrees. If you battle wrong cuts, the base has a ruler with markings for deducing exact lengths. It also has led lights that illuminate the trail. As if that is not enough, the machine comes with a dust blower to unclog your cutting surface for further accuracy.
- 7 ¼ inch blade: the product features a 7 ¼ inch carbide-tipped blade, which provides an accurate and clean cut. Plus, it features a blade wrench which allows you to remove and replace the blades easily.
- Powerful motor: thanks to its 15 Amp -120 V, which makes it perfect for many contractors who perform varying tasks. Its housing is made from chrome to ensure its safety and stability of the unit.
- Safety: the handles ate rubberized for better grip of the tool while cutting. It also has excellent electric blade brakes to allow you to cut quickly.
- Duct blower: this product comes with a built-in dust blower to remove dust from the cuts hence a smooth and comfortable process.
- LED light features an LED light to show you the exact path of cutting to make accurate and precise cuts.
- It comes with a magnesium shoe for easy maneuverability
- Highly portable for use in remote areas
- Lightweight while still keeping the heavy-duty nature intact
- Durable Magnesium body ideal for years of use
- It is power-corded hence may not work away from the grid.
7. GALAX PRO 12A 5500RPM Corded Circular Saw
GALAX PRO 12A is another powerful saw in our list of reviews after Craftsman. It has an output rating of 5500 RPM, making it one of the fastest models you can ever find in the market. This feature comes with one more advantage; it doesn’t stick easily between the grains of any object you’re cutting. Save for the 12 Amp motor, this machine slices through metal panels, flooring materials, glasses, tiles, and wooden objects with a peak-level accuracy.
GALAX PRO 12A takes precision, cutting a notch higher with its laser and rip fence. First, you can adjust the beam trail from an angle ranging from 0-45 degrees using the belt tilt function. At 90-degrees, the blade hits a maximum depth of 62 MM and a 46-mm depth at 45-degrees. Second, the adjustable fence comes with a marked ruler for measuring and demarcating the base. Combining the two functions makes following the beam an effortless procedure. This machine also comes with one hex key and a dust blower. It also weighs 7.1 pounds, 0.1 pounds heavier than the lightest variant in this list.
- Powerful motor: it comes with a 12 Amp motor to offer full-size performance at 5,500 RPM to cut through different materials, including wood, plastic, tile, metal panels, flooring in just a single pass.
- Dust blower: the tool comes with a dust blower to keep the cut lines sawdust free while keeping the work area clean, enhancing visibility.
- Cutting depth and bevel capacity: you can easily adjust the cutting depth and bevel angle at the tool’s base plate for fast and accurate results.
- Additional features: you will get; a 24 teeth blade, hex key, warranty card, dust blower, and rip guide for the best cutting performance.
- The 24 teeth carbide last years
- Versatile for use with metals, glasses, wood, and plastics
- Cheaper compared to most variants in the same bracket
- It is more lightweight to minimize fatigue
- It is electric corded and cannot work away from the grid
How to Buy the Best Circular Saw
If you want to buy a circular saw, these features will help you choose what suits your needs and preferences. They will ensure you spend more time cutting than fixing the tool. Here are some of the essential features to consider.
Circular saw comes in 3 different types, which are worm-drive, trim, and sidewinder saw. Each saw is made for a specific task. You need to be sure of the kind of task you will be using the circular saw before planning to purchase one. You can make plunge cuts with a worm saw due to its spiral shape. A sidewinder saw is best for cutting wet lumber, plywood, studs, and concrete material. A Trim saw is used for making finish work on carpentry and cutting thin materials.
You will realize that saws come with blades that range from 3.5 inches to 10.25 inches. You can use a 7.5 inch saw for your DIY and workshop projects. Its blade size allows you to cut thicker pieces as well as cut through thick stock. For your heavy-duty cuts, consider 10 ¼ inch circular saws.
Battery power and corded
Another feature to consider is whether you want a battery-powered or corded saw. A battery-powered circular saw allows you to work from anywhere. It produces less power hence limiting its ability to cut through some heavy-duty projects. If you consider a corded circular saw, ensure you have a great cord and access to an outlet.
If you use saws a lot, you need to keep in mind the comfort and safety of your hands. You can choose a circular saw that features the handholds’ angle to allow you to hold it firmly. Material can be added to the handles to add extra grip or comfort. It can also help eliminate vibrations as you work.
How to use a circular saw
A circular saw is a fundamental and powered tool for your DIY tasks. However, it can be a dangerous tool if you are not familiar with it. In this guide, you will learn how to use the circular saw. Here are simple steps to follow when using it.
Step 1: Set the saw
The first thing is to ensure the saw is in good working condition. You need to fill it with gasoline and then plug it into a source of power for use.
Step 2: Choose the right blade.
Circular saws come with varying blades; some blades have longer teeth while others have short ones. For great cutting results, you need to choose a saw with longer teeth. If you choose the right blade, you will get excellent cutting results.
Step 3: Adjust the blade’s depth.
Next, adjust the blade to about 1/4″ below the wood base. It will cut the timber without any difficulty as it preserves the blade and saw. However, don’t turn on the unit while adjusting the blade since it can be harmful.
Step 4: Start the saw.
By now, you have plugged in the saw to a power source and adjusted the blade, moving it to the material you want to cut, either tile, plastic, wood, metal, among others. Ensure it runs to total capacity before cutting. This will help create accurate and precise cuts. Moreover, it reduces the danger of harming yourself or making wrong cuts.
Step 5: Cut
Since circular blades make upstroke cuts, you should place the material on the floor. While the blade is running, move it forward, leaving the edges to do the work. Make sure nothing under the material can damage the blade. It is also essential to keep a close eye while cutting.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a circular saw good for?
A circular saw is suitable for almost all plumbing projects that demand cutting PVCs, Plastics, and Wooden surfaces along straight lines. It also applies when cutting large-sized timbers or logs in the mills. Some advanced saws can also make cross-cuts along grains, making them ideal for use with design tasks.
What is the difference between a skill saw and a circular saw?
A skill saw is a brand name for circular saws made by Skil. Skil was a renowned company in the past, just like DEWALT or BLACK + DECKER today. Since their releases were a staple choice for most buyers, they named their saws Skilsaws as a marketing gimmick.
Should I buy a table saw or circular saw?
Table saws are more accurate with increased depths, yet they come with top-the-bar prices. Conversely, circular saws are cheaper with shallow depths. If you’re on a fixed budget, circular saws are your go-to, but if you want to achieve precision cuts and the best value for money, table saws are the only choice. One more thing; table saws can dispose of dust to create a clean working surface–a quality that misses in most circular saws.
What does a circular saw cost?
Circular saws come with different price tags based on the model, RPM, and other advanced features. The costs also fluctuate from one store to the other. If you want the cheapest model, be ready to part with amounts starting from $100. Most expensive models cost as much as $1000.
Why does circular saw get stuck?
If you apply unequal pressure on one side of the saw than the other, the blade will stick, and the machine stops. Also, if the edge is dirty, the blade will get attached frequently, minimizing your chances of attaining a smooth cut. It is best to sharpen the cutting edge often since a dull blade is another reason your machine may stop working.
A circular saw is an essential piece of equipment for all your plumbing and milling works. As a hobbyist or professional, buying the best circular saw wireandcutter can be the only reason to smile at work.
From our reviews, MAKITA is your ideal choice when looking for high RPM, while DEWALT is our top choice for durability. DEWALT gets another star for easy maneuverability since it comes with a magnesium shoe. It is also portable with a rechargeable battery for use in areas away from the grid.